• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Matching toy hauler wrap to Motorcoach (colors)

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
Hey all,
Was approached by a customer woh bought one of those fancy toy haulers to haul behind their motor coach. Trailer is white, motor coach is not. They want them to match. Design wise not a problem, already recreated the design and sized it up appropriately to the trailer being wrapped, however we cannot get any where near close on colors. I know we aren't going to get a direct match and already had that discussion with the customer. He understood that is the case since the finish on the Motorcoach is metallic and the print will not be. He's cool with it if we can get in the right ballpark color wise at least. Not having any luck there either. Printing on a Roland printer using the Roland swatch guide provided to us from the company who setup & calibrated it. We can hit certain colors that look great inside, bring them outside to compare and not even close.

Client agreed to sign off on a printed proof in advance but having trouble even getting that together. Frustrating scene over here.

Anyone have any helpful advise for this situation besides refunding their deposit and walking away from it? I don't really want to do that, not one to give up that easy.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or information, wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks,
Kurt

Christian @ 2CT Media

Don't, it will end badly. You will never match metallic paint on vinyl. The closest we ever come is printing on silver metallic or pearl white, but the caveat is the paint color shifts differently than vinyl so it will not match in all conditions.

I recommend walking away or completely tempering their expectations. Either way charge 3x more than you normally would or it will bite you in the butt.

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
Don't, it will end badly. You will never match metallic paint on vinyl. The closest we ever come is printing on silver metallic or pearl white, but the caveat is the paint color shifts differently than vinyl so it will not match in all conditions.

I recommend walking away or completely tempering their expectations. Either way charge 3x more than you normally would or it will bite you in the butt.

Totally appreciate your honesty. I totally get what you mean. Knowing it was going to be more difficult than a typical wrap ahead of time I priced it accordingly. I think we have some Have some pearl white and silver metallic both at the shop, might give a sample or two a shot on that just for S&G and see if we can get anywhere near close. Was thinking on doing something similar beforehand just not sure hw much confidence I have in it's longevity.

We'll see what happens. Not going to burn much more time on it though I can tell you that, have enough other stuff going right now that we don't NEED it I just want to stubbornly MAKE it work, maybe learn something new.

Thanks again, Happy Thanksgiving!
Kurt

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you have the time and budget, I would get a nix color sensor or any similar product and scan the paint colors in a variety of light modes, and also scan the base vinyls to build a color make up to get you close.

It's a tough proposition you are in though, we do it a lot for our fair clients but we have to make sure to understand it is darn near impossible to match with vinyl.

rjssigns

Depending on budget tell the client to have it painted to match. I refer those types of jobs to a local truck repair shop. Coach company should be able to supply the paint codes.

equippaint

I second sending it off to paint. It will never match right unless it's paint and even that is difficult sometimes. The whole intention of the project is to match an expensive tow vehicle, there is really no point in doing it if it's not going to be 100%. or really close to it.

LarryB

Run Forest Run. I would never attempt that job. Usually the RV people are retired and have nothing better to do but pick out any tiny defect. Matching the metallic print will be almost impossible.

I would educate them that this will not match the original. It would be worth it print a small sample and have them sign off. Also explain it will not look like the factory job.

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
Depending on budget tell the client to have it painted to match. I refer those types of jobs to a local truck repair shop. Coach company should be able to supply the paint codes.
They did that already, was triple the cost I guess and permanent so they decided against it. The owner of it is in the body shop business so that was his first hope however its not feasible cost wise and they want it to be as resalable as possible. Owner also understands a perfect match is not possible.

I've already put expectations in check and told them as close as we get on test prints they'll need to sign off on ahead of time. If its not close enough we'll charge for what we have into it & walk. If the proof is signed off on it is what it is, the remainder is due at pickup whether they like it or not. It is what it is I guess. Got my Nix & Color Muse delivered today. Going to see if that helps at least get in the ballpark.

Appreciate all the input, I know we are pretty much in a losing battle here but its a request we get often so i'd like to explore it more mainly to see if we can pull it off with a "decent" result at least.