• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material must be tamper-proof. Decals must include a die-cut self-destruction feature that prevents removal in one piece from the surface in which it

MikeDCrux

Hello all,

I'm trying to bid on a job that has this requirement "Material must be tamper-proof. Decals must include a die-cut self-destruction feature that prevents removal in one piece from the surface in which it was applied."

It seemed to me that this meant some sort of perforated cut along each decal that would tear when trying to be peeled up after installation. My designer said it was referencing tamper evident label stock, where when you peel it the top layer comes off and another layer is revealed that says VOID. I still think I'm right, but I need some backup here.

Does anyone know what this requirement might be referencing, and if it is some cool plotter trick can you give me a little bit of detail on how it is done?

THANKS!

weyandsign

I think you're right, like a price tag that rips into multiple pieces. I would cut all the way thru. Or if perf cut needs tested if the perf tears or not.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
You are looking for Geber White Security Label Stock P82891A (2mil). Has the VOID peel feature. As for the self destruction feature, I am unsure how to do that.

MikeDCrux

I think you're right, like a price tag that rips into multiple pieces. I would cut all the way thru. Or if perf cut needs tested if the perf tears or not.
yeah it seems like we'd have to do some testing and learn how to do it through trial and error

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When you remove stickers from tractor trailers and other things, you will find it says void all over the sticker. Not sure if the coating makes it not seen, but it's there so you cannot lift the stickers and use them somewhere else.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
If they want basic security vinyl, the Oracal 820 Safety Vinyl breaks into little pieces when you try to remove it once it's laid. Have used it, good stuff, runs around a grand for a std size (55" x 50yd) roll. You can laminate it if the application calls for it, but do some tests if you plan to, just to make sure what you use keeps the vinyl properties. We did chassis certification stickers that had to take some abuse, so I laminated, and it kept it's properties of only coming off in pieces. They're brutal to get off!!! Even on glass with a razor.

3M also has the fancy ones like these, part numbers 7613 / 3812 / 7381 / 7866 / 7380, they leave printing behind when removed, some leave the word "void", some have triangles... They only come in 4.5" & 6" wide 1668' long rolls. If this is what they want, something that not only destructs, but also leaves a tamper mark, it's only worth it if they commit to buying large quantities (thousands) to make your investment worthwhile, 6" wide rolls run over 2 grand. Had some samples of I think the 3812 for a job we were bidding on once, it did print on a solvent, but if we had gotten it, we were just going to add a 6" thermal printer to run them separately. Some other company got the job, but that is some really cool stuff.

1720654241925.jpeg

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
If you want to make hard to tamper with labels, UVDTF procedure works very well, but needs a special printer. I typically do a similar process and then mix in an IR-IR marker ink, or blacklight ink to make it a mofo to replicate. Since there is no true backer substrate, intact removal is incredibly hard and weird inks make copying very hard.

Then again, my definition of tamper-proof is probably way crazier than most sane people.