• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mimaki JV3 SP2

BRUSHMARKS

Having problems with our printer. Attached is a test print. i am running lyson 1300 series ink for about 4 years now. a list of things i have done.

1. good cleaning
2. syringed black through the dampers.
3. switched the 2 black dampers.
4. pulled all rubber off capping station and cleaned and replaced.
5. 10-15 strong cleanings.
6. 5 fill up ink.

I am planning to get bulk dampers and capping station from china. so will be a few days before i can replace and try that. dampers seem fine though.

thoughts

Attachments

• black head.jpg
    black head.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 113

WrapperX

Looks like you don't have ink in your head. Maybe due to negative presure. You've checked the dampers and those are full? I don't know for sure that the size of your dampers will matter all that much.

Ok so try this - do you know where the pump is located? You can access it on the back of the machine. You have to move the media holder out of the way - but you can unscrew the panel and when you do you will see the pump with the tubes from the capping station coming down. Find the line that you need which will be the black. On that tube you will see where there's a break in the line. You can seperate that line by prying the tubes apart. Inside that tube is just a metal cylinder that acts as a bridge. The tubes should slide off that cylinder. What you want is to seperate the tubing so that the cylinder is on the side of the pump and the tubing from the capping station is now open. Using a syringe stick it into the tube so that its snug and pull some air. You should get some resistance and then ink should flow. into the syringe. If you see alot of air bubbles in the ink flowing into the syringe that means theres an air leak somewhere above that. Most likely at the capping station. But don't jump to conclusions. Because one side of the head is empty you WILL get some air at first. That should go away. After you pull the ink in to the syringe. Carefully disconnect the syringe and reconnect the pumping tube back together. and try another test print. This usually will recharge the print head and pull any negative preasure out of the line and allow ink to flow into the head.

artbot

if what wrapperX recommended doesn't work (which i'm almost 100% sure it will). your left with a data swap to see if that side of the print head is getting data.

BRUSHMARKS

ok, i got to the pump and took a syringe and hooked it up to the line off the capping station and i can hear it pulling air through the lines but am only getting a few drops of ink each time and unhook the syringe to get air out and pull through the line again. doesn't seem to be pulling ink through.

BRUSHMARKS

if what wrapperX recommended doesn't work (which i'm almost 100% sure it will). your left with a data swap to see if that side of the print head is getting data.

how do i go about this? i have to leave now for about an hour to go do a truck install then will be back.

Thanks for the help guys.

MikePro

data swap = power down and switch the two data cables for the black channel at the slider board (the ribbon cables)

its a test to make sure the electrical signal of that failed channel is firing

MikePro

my money is on air in the ink lines, if its not electrical. did you trace the inklines all the way back to the ink supply?

BRUSHMARKS

my money is on air in the ink lines, if its not electrical. did you trace the inklines all the way back to the ink supply?
I swaped the dampers on the head did 1-1 and 2-2 to 1-2 and 2-1. it was still the same half working, and not working.

artbot

the air is suspect. you should feel resistance when pulling with a syringe at the back. the syringe should only come down about 1/2". unless you had a bad seal at the syringe or the syringe is bad.....you might have a cracked manifold, to that side of the head. it seems unlikely that the cap isn't sealing on the bottom your head..."only on the left" but it is possible. have you gotten down and looked at the contact between head and cap? is the cap sitting straght? swap cap tops too (they just pull off).

as far as the data swap, don't do that until you've proven you got good vacuum at the head.

BRUSHMARKS

i unhooked the cyan above the pump and sucked ink through there, it went a little bit before was hard to pull and had been filled with cyan ink.
i pulled the whole black capping station out hose and all and checked for any cracks in hose and pulled off rubber cap and cleaned and reinstalled it all and went back to syringe above pump. still nothing just pulls air.
Does that mean i need a new capping station?

I also tryed switching the 2 black data cables with the 2 magenta. both magentas printed offset towards the black about 3/4" and still just the one black printed.

dmcprint

Brushmarks - Using a syringe is a great way to troubleshoot the ink train for air leaks. If you aren't getting good suction from underneath the captops, chances are good that an air leak exists somewhere in the ink train. You can also try syringe pulling from the damper. If you see bubbles, this means you have an air leak even farther back.

Losing one side of a print head could suggest a broken manifold on your print head. The nipple can become cracked or damaged from pulling dampers on/off. Since your problem doesn't switch sides when you switch the dampers, a broken manifold is my best guess.

In my opinion, your test print doesn't look like an electrical/data issue or a bad captop. However, replacing captops and dampers is never a bad idea since these parts are considered "consumables" and are relatively inexpensive to replace.

Please feel free to PM me for additional assistance.

Danielle Coakley
Nazdar - Ink Jet Technician

MikePro

whole new head, imho. there's really no taking a printhead apart and putting it back together in working order. save yourself $100.

WrapperX

so i just got new dampers, capping station, and wiper. I have YMC are fine and still can't get black in the process of pulling the black head i broke off the nipple that goes in the damper, of 1 of the blacks. once out i noticed the other 1 is cracked. http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...Solvent-Printer-Spare-Parts--wholesalers.html
check this link is this all i need to fix the problem or do i need a whole new head?

If all that broke is the nipple then yes that's all you need. But to replace that you have pull out the head and unscrew the parts off and then replace the head as if you were replacing the head. If you're up to the task then I would go ahead and do it - it's a little laborous but it's doable if you know how to change out a head.

If the head is fairly new, and hasn't been giving you any problems I don't see ANY reason to spend $750-$1000 for a new head when all you need is a $100 part. And shop around - I know I bought one of those and it wasn't $100. Google search around and you maybe able to get one cheaper.

If you have been having trouble with the head OR you don't know how to change out these things - then it might be worth your time (and $) to get a new head and have a Tech install it. Ask them, while they are working, to walk you through the process and watch what they do. Take good notes and pay attention. You are liable to save yourself a TON of $ doing these kind of maintances yourself then paying for it everytime. It's easy if you've seen one done and you have good notes to follow.

Good luck

MikePro

osnap! i've got 2 old heads I can sell the manifolds for?!?
was just keeping them around for future diagnosing, but heck... if i can part it out, might shred one of em'.