• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MIMAKI JV33-260 2X CMYK. LOOKING FOR ORANGE INK.

Alex Espejo

Hey guys.
We have planned to change our printer's printhead this week. The current setup is 2x cmyk, and we would like to change it to a setup that lets us use orange ink. I would like to know if this is possible, as I know it it on the cjv150. This printer uses the dx5 printhead, that has 8 independent ink channels, so I think it can be done. The problem is that this printer has never been sold with orange ink option, so I don't know if I could change the printer parameters to use this ink. If it's possible to change inks, we would like to use CMYK Orange Green Red and maybe White? Since we're now working on race motorbikes.
Any info is apreciated.

Thank you, Alex

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Basically stuck with using the color sets your printer supports, or finding a RIP that lets you set individual ink channels by color.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
There's not much you can do if the printer wasn't programmed to support it.

If you do find a way, be aware that pure color inks like orange and red fade quick out in direct sunlight.

SlikGRFX

Onyx will do it. You’ll have to run it as a ‘dumb’ printer and do all the profiling in onyx, but it’s possible. You’ll also have to rig up a way of running different inks. Either a bulk system or a way of using another brand of cartridges. Also for white you’ll need ink circulation, so it’s probably not possible unless your printer has a circulation circuit/pump already.

We had a Roland vs540 rigged up to run epson red, orange and metallic inks. Could have added white too as there are two circulation loops on the vs540.

But honestly, you are probably best just buying an S80600. Wait until next year and the new model will have green ink.

SlikGRFX

If you do find a way, be aware that pure color inks like orange and red fade quick out in direct sunlight.
Never heard this before about orange and red. We haven’t had a complaint about fading in the 7 years we have been running orange ink and we print a lot of 021C.

netsol

sunlight beats the s**t out of orange, no matter how it is derived, i think.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Even if you have a RIP that will let you do it you will still need to swap chips on every cartridge to fool the printer since the printer itself will not accept an orange ink chip. So for example you might need to use orange in a slot that the printer itself "thinks" is black and put a black ink chip on the orange cartridge....

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Never heard this before about orange and red. We haven’t had a complaint about fading in the 7 years we have been running orange ink and we print a lot of 021C.
Happy to hear it works for someone, I've never had good results, especially with pure orange. Always faded out in exterior applications.

SlikGRFX

Even if you have a RIP that will let you do it you will still need to swap chips on every cartridge to fool the printer since the printer itself will not accept an orange ink chip. So for example you might need to use orange in a slot that the printer itself "thinks" is black and put a black ink chip on the orange cartridge....
If you run it as a dumb printer, it doesn’t care what cartridge is installed, as long as there is a cartridge there that has ink in it. You lose ink level monitoring in the rip and on the printer however.

Alex Espejo

Onyx will do it. You’ll have to run it as a ‘dumb’ printer and do all the profiling in onyx, but it’s possible. You’ll also have to rig up a way of running different inks. Either a bulk system or a way of using another brand of cartridges. Also for white you’ll need ink circulation, so it’s probably not possible unless your printer has a circulation circuit/pump already.

We had a Roland vs540 rigged up to run epson red, orange and metallic inks. Could have added white too as there are two circulation loops on the vs540.

But honestly, you are probably best just buying an S80600. Wait until next year and the new model will have green ink.
you mean it’s not worth it? we don’t have the budget to get a brand new s80600, so we thought tuning our jv33 would be enough.

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
The head is 8 channel, so yes. Can also double up on some colors and not on others. Say CMYKCMLcLm or whatever if the RIP supports it.

Alex Espejo

Thank you guys for the answers, we will try this week.
My idea is adding green, red, orange and light k.
I will use orange and light k from mimaki (ss21 ink for cjv150), green and red from roland.
Thinking about onyx production house for this printer.
Will let you know how this goes.
Thank you, Alex

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If you run it as a dumb printer, it doesn’t care what cartridge is installed, as long as there is a cartridge there that has ink in it. You lose ink level monitoring in the rip and on the printer however.

The printer firmware requires that chips it thinks it can work with is what I was talking about. It would need to at minimum have the firmware set to one of the 6/7 color modes that it supports so that each individual channel can be addressed. If its setup for dual CMYK 4 color then the firmware will expect pairs of identical colors. Each of the cartridge slots must have a cartridge with a chip that the firmware thinks is valid. For example if its set to SS21 6 color then the firmware has specific slots that it wants specific colors in and if you were to put a magenta cartridge in a slot that it expects cyan in then it will just give an error and not allow you to go into remote mode or print in any way. In that same example, you could swap the ink chips between the two cartridges then it would accept it. So if you were to put an orange cartridge in a slot that the firmware thinks should be light cyan, then you would need to get a SS21 light cyan ink chip and put that on the orange cartridge. That is what I was trying to explain.

Also the JV33 firmware (final version is 6.10 by the way) only has valid configurations for up to 7 color (CMYK, Lc, ,Lm, white or silver) so I'm not sure even a RIP will allow addressing 8 slots individually since the firmware on the printer is going to treat at least two slots as a single channel but hard to say for certain on that aspect. In any case you would need to have a source for ink chips that are valid that the printer will accept for each slot, label and keep track of that end so that it does not just error due to having a chip on a slot that it does not expect. See the attached pdf....

Attachments

• Explanation about ink_JV5,33,CJV30,.pdf
    333 KB · Views: 48

Alex Espejo

how do you treat it like a dumb printer? can’t manage to set it like that

probull

This is how I convert Mimaki to sublimation printers, where I add flou colors. The principle is the same for your JV33.
If you want to add red and orange, choose the C M Y K Lc Lm setting where you replace Lc and Lm. The printer will still run in normal mode.
However, then you have to take Ergosoft, which can control individual channels, Flexi can do it too.
In the graphics, you then use specific values Lba of color shades through which you control the amount of colors.

Attachments

• mimaki chips.jpg
    mimaki chips.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 24
  • mimaki flou barvy3.jpg
    mimaki flou barvy3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 23
  • mimaki flou barvy2.jpg
    mimaki flou barvy2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 26
  • mimaki flou barvy1.jpg
    mimaki flou barvy1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 25

Alex Espejo

This is how I convert Mimaki to sublimation printers, where I add flou colors. The principle is the same for your JV33.
If you want to add red and orange, choose the C M Y K Lc Lm setting where you replace Lc and Lm. The printer will still run in normal mode.
However, then you have to take Ergosoft, which can control individual channels, Flexi can do it too.
In the graphics, you then use specific values Lba of color shades through which you control the amount of colors.
that’s nice! it’s what I tried with flexi and onyx, but no luck, printer wasn’t printing custom channels (changed chips, it should have worked). I’ve just changed to cmyk again, but will check ergosoft,

probull

S80600 can do 98% Pantone .. Mimaki with Or, LM, LC, LK can do 94% .. but actually Mimaki orange ink is darker than Epson or Roland VG3 ink and doesn't reach the lightness I would expect. I have tried it, I make icc profiles, I was disappointed with the first Mimaki conversion to orange :(

Attachments

• barvy Mimaki (2).jpg
    barvy Mimaki (2).jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 23