• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Monument sign with metal cross bars

gnubler

I'm bidding on making directory signs for an existing monument with metal cross bars - see pic. Trying to figure out how the previous signage was mounted because there are no drill holes or evidence of welding and my customer doesn't know. Any ideas, other than the bars are brand new and were replaced after the old signs came down? Would you drill holes and mount sign panels directly into the bars, or is there a better approach? The bars are 1.5" thick.

20221212_154032.jpg

gnubler

That was the first thing I did. Unfortunately Google has been very active in my area and the street views are current.

Edit: Just discovered you can go back in time on street view. Thanks Tex. The monument is brand new, the old one was torn down.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Then, google the prior business that was there. It might still have pictures to be found.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That was the first thing I did. Unfortunately Google has been very active in my area and the street views are current.

Edit: Just discovered you can go back in time on street view. Thanks Tex. The monument is brand new, the old one was torn down.
So, it's never had a sign on it? Who built the monument?

gnubler

It's a brand new monument, went back in time and can see the old structure...which explains the lack of holes or welding.

So what's the best way to hang sign panels on this? Do you think any welding of brackets is needed?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Going back in time on street view is a handy dandy tool. I use it all the time on signs that have multiple cabinets that might of been removed at some point.. that way I can prove that adding another cabinet wouldn't be overload. It's also good when that particular street view gives a bad angle and you can go back in time and see other views.

gnubler

So what sort of joint is moving in?
LOL...yet another day spa, of course. Your excellent idea sounds good for a strip club which is a grossly underserved business model around these parts. Thanks for the ideas...I don't even know if I'm doing the install but wanted some ideas to throw at the customer. If the landlord says no to drilling, what do you guys think about metal banding/brackets (like for pole signs) fastening all four corners? Or U-bolts around the beams if I can find U-bolts to fit.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Going back in time on street view is a handy dandy tool. I use it all the time on signs that have multiple cabinets that might of been removed at some point.. that way I can prove that adding another cabinet wouldn't be overload. It's also good when that particular street view gives a bad angle and you can go back in time and see other views.
I didn't know you could do that either. Another cool internet archive tool is the Way back Machine. You can enter a URL and a date in the past and see what that web page looked like back then.

Remember when S101 looked like this?