• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

MORE force needed with a brand new blade

IsItFasst

So after a few months of use the machine quit cutting well. Been in the biz for almost 20 years so normally I add a little more force as the blade starts to dull. This got to the point where it would cut through the paper so figured lets just change the blade. Did that and now it needs more force (a lot) to get decent results. Before I was cutting at a force of about 13 with a new blade. Now this new blade takes about 18 force to cut. This is an OEM CB09UB-1 blade so not sure why it is so different than the blade that came with the machine. The machine has only about 2-3 months of cutting time on it (mostly small stuff) which is why I am just now going to a new blade. I have made sure the depth is set properly (actually played around with depths) but nothing seems to change. I have made sure the blade holder is in the carrier properly too. Also removed the dust cover and blew out the mechanisms with compressed air. Not sure what is causing this so open to suggestions. On possibly a related note the cross cut has not fully cut as it should a few times.

Andy D

Not familiar with your plotter, but they all have the same issues..
Is your blade holder tight in the machine?
Is your cutting strip, tore up?
Same brand & degree of blade?
Could have the blade been dropped and chipped the edge?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Did you set the blade exposure to be the same as previous? if the blade isn't as far out as before it will take more "force" to cut than previous but its just a reduced blade depth.

IsItFasst

Not familiar with your plotter, but they all have the same issues..
Is your blade holder tight in the machine?
Is your cutting strip, tore up?
Same brand & degree of blade?
Could have the blade been dropped and chipped the edge?
  • Yes. Had to double check that since we normally use Rolands and they don't have the bracket that clamps over. But this didn't make a difference.
  • The has a couple of spots here and there that aren't perfect but when doing test cuts across the entire width of the machine it has the issue. Doesn't seem to be just in a few areas. Needs a lot of force no matter where.
  • The replacement blade is OEM 45 so it should be the same as what came with the machine.
  • I suppose anything is possible but doesn't look to be damaged or chipped. Seems sharp
Mainly just don't understand why a new blade takes more force. Never seen that before in all my years of cutting with Rolands (or even my old SignWarehouse machines). This machine is an FC8600. I guess I'll purchase a bunch of new blades, cross cut blades and a new cutting strip to have on hand (normally do). But this machine seems to go through consumables at a much more frequent rate if this is the case.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Like others have said. Make sure the blade holder is tight. Manually adjust the amount of the blade that comes out of the holder. If alot of the blade is exposed you can have very minimal force... not enough blade exposure and you have to set the force high.

IsItFasst

Did you set the blade exposure to be the same as previous? if the blade isn't as far out as before it will take more "force" to cut than previous but its just a reduced blade depth.
Yes. Even tried more and less blade exposure but still requires a lot more force than when new. Exposure doesn't seem to be making that big of a difference on force requirements.

Sounds like a cutting strip issue to me. You even wrote that you are cutting hard enough to cut through the backing paper. Which means you are cutting into the strip at that point. Maybe your strip just needs to be switched. We run our blades all day everyday cutting all sorts of materials. We replace the blade maybe every 6 months. You might have your blade out to far. My vinyl is always at a 17-18 pressure.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Like Big Easy above, we cut vinyl (single layer) at 17-18 and laminated at 24-25 on our FC8600.
I too think that the blade might have been out too far before changing it to the new one.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Might also check to see if your carriage is still tight on the track it slides across.
If it is loose it would cause cutting issues.

IsItFasst

All good information. Thank you! But if 17-18 force is normal then I'm not too worried about it since it seems to cut fine there. Was just concerned that it was a major jump from the previous blade force and the fact it is only a few months old. I too am used to getting close to a year out of blade on my old machines. Hell, I think on my print/cut Roland, that blade has been in there for well over a year. Cutting strip looks almost brand new but I'm going to order me a backup just in case. I always like to have parts like that on hand in case things go bad.

woolly

as long time graphtec user have 4 on site i have found around 14 -15 brand new then settles about 17 for months to come for polymeric 3 less for cast. i gave up with oe blades years ago after a couple of iffy ones i can accept a 1 in 10 iffy one when they are really cheap but not at oe prices.

astro8

Have you tried another blade? I've had them blunt straight out of a new box. It was genuine Summa.

jimbug72

Did you keep the old blade? If so put it back in and see if you can turn the fore back down to 13. That should give you a better idea if it's the blade or something on the cutter. Also, you had said that when increasing the pressure over time with the old blade you started cutting through the paper. If that is the case your cutting strip is probably compromised. Even if you can't really see a cut it could be there and opening a little under the pressure of the blade and effecting the cut.

Andy D

Off topic, but what does everyone use as a guide to setting the blade?
I have always used the visualization of the blade sticking out the thickness of 5-7 sheets of notebook paper.

Off topic, but what does everyone use as a guide to setting the blade?
I have always used the visualization of the blade sticking out the thickness of 5-7 sheets of notebook paper.

That seems thick to me. We move to where the blade is basically flush with the holder. If you rub your finger it will change the direction of the blade but it will not cut you. You can barely feel it. I'm thinking more 1 sheet of paper. 7 sheets of paper feels like a bump when you put them on top of the table. A lot of this also depends on your cutting strip.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Always found this weird with cutters. Surely there should just be a way to set them all exactly the same. So if I take one out, the new one I put in is the exact same but a bit sharper

IsItFasst

I think my "cutting through the paper" line is throwing people off. It would just be a small spot or two every so often where there is either a high spot on the strip, the material is thin (had it most often happen with brushed aluminum) or where I have it set to over-cut. The strip is in very good shape. Still not sure why the cross cut has acted odd a few times though.

IsItFasst

On the blade itself, is the ring around the knife holder slipped under the finger of the blade clamp?
This is one of the first things I checked since my employees and I are not used to that style of clamp but it was all good. Thanks for the tip on the cross cut blade. My isn't loose but that is good information to have.