• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting a 40lb sign on Tile Backsplash with Standoffs

AllStarNow

Has anyone attempted something like this before? The sign is 78" x 23.5" two layers of 1/8" aluminum and weighs 40 lbs. It has 6 predrilled holes and the client is wanting to mount with 1" standoffs on a tile backsplash wall. I'm thinking it's drywall behind the tile, I'm not sure yet as I'm going to the site to meet with the client tomorrow. Has anyone attempted something like this? My fear is that the shear weight might crack a tile (maybe not immediately) even if we find a decent enough anchor. I have some thin rubber grommets I can use on the backside of the metal standoff that might help, other than that some toggle bolt anchors.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
Are we talking small mosaic tiles or are they 4x4 or larger? That’ll make a difference. Larger tiles would be less likely to break during and after installation. Smaller mosaic tiles just don’t have a lot of surface area to help carry much weight.

Each standoff will be holding about 7 lbs. If we’re not talking about smaller tiles you’ll probably be okay.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
1/2" diamond core bit, 3/16" Toggler Snap Toggles anchors, silicone washers between the tile and standoffs and you'll be fine. That's not that much weight/pressure once it's spread out between the 6 standoffs.

jfiscus

Rap Master
What about using "false" standoffs? Where you would actually just VHB the sign to the tiles (with an appropriately thick spacer (like 1/2" PVC) behind it, and put the standoffs in place like they were installed? Would save drilling permanent holes into tiles. IDK, just thinking.