• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting Aluminum Sign

What would be the best way to mount an aluminum sign flush to a wall? The aluminum(.040) will be completely covered with a printed piece of vinyl, I dont want to drill holes, use screws, and cover with the vinyl,it shows to much. I have used stand - offs in the past, the customer doesnt like the looks of that. Any tips or tricks you can send my way? If you need more info just let me know. The sign is 2' x 8'
Thank You!

J Hill Designs

wow thats a bit large for .040 IMO

but screws is about the only sure-fire way

or a snap frame / wall frame if budget allows

d fleming

What is the wall made of? I would think a mount strip to the wall and back of sign would suffice. Something along the lines of a french cleat. Some Lords adhesive might do the trick as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mounting flush to the wall using .040 without any kind of framework is going to produce a wavy sign.

Usually, the installation is figured out beforehand, as that can sometimes be the greater part of an entire job. When someone asks for recommendations after using the wrong substrate, it indicates trying to get your butt out of a jam and there's no tips or tricks for miscalculations. Had you used .080 or composite, you could do this. With what you have available, I'd say say a wooden frame from 2" x 6" and mount the sign to it. The french cleat will be nice and clean, but will entail more work and money to get it up there.

Good luck............:rock-n-roll:

What is the wall made of. You could screw some aluminum plates to the wall on the corners and middle and then use 3M VHB tape to stick the sign to the plates. Easy Fix, might not be what the doctor ordered though.

Billct2

Inside or outside? What kind of wall? Does the client care what the wall will look like when the sign comes down?

MikePro

VHB tape & silicone is proly your only option.
gonna be wavy unless you add some support, but would most likely double your materials cost.

joshGN

ACM panel would be a better choice...and I'd VHB and go on....just tell the customer, it is what it is...

More info and Thanks!

I am just printing the vinyl now, I can use .080 aluminum. I did not quote the job so what ever it takes to complete and look good is fine. The portion of wall where it is being mounted is painted plywood, exterior above a window. New to this type of work this year, this is the longest one we have done so I was looking for advice, thank you for all your help! I like the idea of the tape, I was thinking along that line but just not sure if it was the way to go.

That VHB tape won't stick for long to the painted plywood. I will reiterate again, make sure you put some sort of screwed in aluminum panel on the wood first and then tape the sign to that.

Mosh

I make 4x8's all the time with 0.040 I bend a 1" lip on them and install them on angle brackets, that way screws are not in the face, they are on the top lip and bottom lip, out of site. I also glue foam inside this to get the wave out of it. Pan Box sign is what I call it... something like this (2'x4')

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 192

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I make 4x8's all the time with 0.040 I bend a 1" lip on them and install them on angle brackets, that way screws are not in the face, they are on the top lip and bottom lip, out of site. I also glue foam inside this to get the wave out of it. Pan Box sign is what I call it... something like this (2'x4')

attachment.php

I would do this. ^

Mosh

A brake works better than a hammer....LOL yes I have a pretty heavy brake I do it on. Most heating and cooling places have them if you don't have one. FYI, a siding brake isn't heavy enough.

Except that's not a flush mounting.

I would call this flush, as opposed to sticking out. It is flat against the wall, and looks like an inch thick sign.

16guage steel rated break will do .063 and .080 aluminum 16 guage steel is basically equal to .100 aluminum in terms of cutting and breaking.