• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mounting calendered vinyl

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Stacy, you’re reading things into what I said. Never said I was heads or shoulders above the rest of anyone and I’m not to be confused with an old shampoo for dandruff.

5 years is plenty of time to get to know how to do things in many areas. I never said I or we don’t get bubbles… I said routinely get bubbles. For the first 6 or 7 years, we didn’t have a laminator and we either sprayed or rolled on liquid clears or went without, but it still had to be put down. We also used calendared products and learned to do it to the point of customer acceptance. How else do you think I know what had to be said to the customer ?? We did have a level of acceptance, but bubbles were generally not a problem. Going on crooked was our biggest problem on calendared vinyl unlaminated.

Personally, I never found Cor-X to be more of a problem vs. other substrates. We almost always did it dry except when a new person was helping who would always think doing it wet was better, until they eventually learned to do it dry. They always had to be shown and proven…. wet wasn’t any better.

Never said it equates to meaning someone sucks…… just meant an 18” x 24” is not a problem on a routine basis.

My biggest point in everything was he is using the wrong media for his application. Change media and probably 95% of his problems will disappear and he would know that from our mistakes and findings.

Nothing was aimed towards you, your personal handling of materials or your shop. Somehow, you took my post personal and your assumption became clouded. Again, this was only meant to help the OP learn the difference between good practices vs. poor ones. Anyone else getting caught, well, it’s all meant to help everyone.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Gino :loveya:

Didn't take it personally at all... just felt like the OP was asking an honest question and wanted them to know they aren't the only one that has some problems... your post seemed to suggest otherwise.

We good... and I hope the OP got his answer somewhere in there too :smile:

fireprinter

Thank for all the suggestions. Letting them dry overnight was the key. They went right down the next day. I have a GBC Hot laminator, can i use it as a cold laminator as well. Also gonna pick up a big squeegee or two, they sound great.

Mosh

I have to agree that if you are having trouble with a 18x24 you might need some training.
Laminate + Big Sqeegie = No problems (fluid is for beginners)

d fleming

"but unlaminated fully printed vinyl is a challenge on coroplast"

No it's not. Do it every day as well as on foamcore. I use a diage to mount though. Some jobs we do on the table by hand as well and still not a problem. But like Gino I have many years of experience and that's the key.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I can lay down on foamcore with no problem. It's the damn ridges that mess with me on freshly printed vinyl that hasn't cured all the way... just too dang stretchy. Coroplast is the ONLY substrate I have problems with and it's not every time. Just when I don't let the print set.

Now I agree - if I lay 'em down on the laminator I don't have any bubbles at all... but lots of times the laminator is busy...

kylebrk

Sounds like a ad schpeel. First post on here... glorifying Arlon. Why is it any easier to apply than a different brand? Seriously... same thickness, both calendared, both non-air agress.... you really think one will be far easier to install than another?

I think not. buh-bye now.

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents and say rather than getting higher quality vinyl with air agress like has been suggested, trying just laminating? Seriously... you will get almost twice the life out of the sign, will look better, and be quicker to install. And if these are cheapies, something like oracal 200 laminate is really not spendy at all.

Also, big squeegee is another great suggestion, but honestly if you got the center hinge method down pat, it can go ALMOST as fast, and shouldn't be getting bubbles.

Arlon has air release that makes a heck of difference. It's perfect for applications on coroplast.

gabagoo

I can only say that the BS allowed me to do 18" x 24" prints incredibly easily. I ran 54 prints last week in about 2 hours, and that included interuptions from the phone and walk ins, not to mention the unbearable high temperature in the shop.
The BS seems to take the stretching issues away as to applying with a 4" squeegee.

I think I can comfortably say that applying a calendered vinyl is much easier for me than trying a 2ml vinyl.
Using a conform vinyl for small coro signs just seems incredibly wasteful to me.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
One thing that will help with the heavy ink and soft vinyl is to put a piece of backing over the print so the squeegee does not make direct contact with the ink.