• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Movin' 'Round....

weaselboogie

I'm technically a home based business with a 2400 sq ft shop 200 ft from my house. Being this 'close to home', my family life seems to mingle into my shop time quite a bit and vice versa. Normally, I try and do my work at 'work', but my morning routine of getting the kids ready for school, I'm at the laptop responding to emails while they eat their breakfast. Wife needs to run an errand while the little one takes a nap... I'm in the house on the desktop comp working on a layout.

All in all, I'm working between 3 separate locations, trying to drag job jackets around with me, leaving a reminder post it here, a color swatch there. "Damnit, that guys phone number is up at the house.... crap... those dimensions are in the shop, where's my drill? Fixed that cupboard, now I need to hang a sign, etc". I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this.

The one thing that has saved me 'computer-wise' is the ability to sync and using a remote desktop to access the other computers and fonts and files that I had been working on wherever I may have been 10 minutes ago.

Border

I know it all too well. I also am really starting to utilize and like the remote desktop thingy.

signswi

If they're all on the same network you can just use Remote Desktop, built into windows. LogMeIn is nice though, great if they're different networks because you can use LogMeIn Hamachi to make a vlan.

When I worked from home I treated it like I wasn't home -- shut the door, kept business hours, dressed (sort-of) professionally. Helped mentally and was a signal to the family that I was unavailable.