• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh ValueJet 1204 (HELP)

greglauter

HEEELLLPPP. I am hoping the VERY knowledge members on Signs101 can help me. Here's the scoop. I purchased a Mutoh ValueJet 1204 (48) about 2 months ago. Kept it plugged in but didn't leave it turned on. I knew I had to purchase new inks and a waste tank. Purchased the inks and tray, powered the printer up, installed the ink and waste tank. Went to run a test print, the printer acted like it was printing and when i looked at the paper. There is absolutely NOTHING printing. What could be the problem? Print head issue?

On a side note. I live in Tampa and can't seem to find anyone that can come out to the house to look at this thing. I have tried Advantage with very little luck... anyone else I can call? I am brand new to this industry so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks for your help in advance!

Greg

:thankyou:

PMG

did you buy it used ?........ if you bought it used you may need to clean the heads...try a few strong cleanings. DID You do a test print when you bought it?

greglauter

Yes, I forgot to mention it was used. I never did a test print on it. But the guy that sold it to me said it works great. I did a couple of strong cleans and nothing is printing. Any ideas?

Pro Image

Your Head is clogged..........Did you get the cleaning cartages with the printer.........Stick them in and do a head wash...........Should make it work........If not you head is dried up and will need someone to work on it...........

greglauter

I tried the head cleaning with the cleaning cartridges and it says Full Waste Ink Tank? What does that mean?

Thanks Greg

greglauter

I took the Waste Fluid Box (New) out and put it back in. Seemed to do the trick but now it says (KCMY) Discharged. Now what????

Thanks guys, sorry for all of the stupid questions

Greg

Bradster941

I tried the head cleaning with the cleaning cartridges and it says Full Waste Ink Tank? What does that mean?

Thanks Greg

Remove the waste container, dump it, then put it back.

Just wondering, in the past 2 months since you bought it used, have you read the manual yet?

As for your test print not printing, lesson learned. You can't let a printer sit loaded with ink for 2 months, let alone a few days, without clogging the heads.

At this point, I would suggest filling the capping station with cleaner, and let it set for 24 hours with the power "OFF" . Then do a full clean. You might get lucky.

Someone else might have better advice, but off the hip, that is what I would start with...

Good Luck.

Bradster.

greglauter

I did read the manual (multiple times) but honestly, it is pretty vague. What kind of cleaner would you suggest? And where can i find the cap station?

Thanks greg

Pro Image

I took the Waste Fluid Box (New) out and put it back in. Seemed to do the trick but now it says (KCMY) Discharged. Now what????

Thanks guys, sorry for all of the stupid questions

Greg

Put your colors cartages back in and read about howto do a initial ink charge.........
I think your head is dried-up...........but you still might salvage it.........

When the waste tray is removed the printer will ask if you replased the waste insert just tell it yes when it promts you.....Then do a coupe stronge cleanings if you still don't have a print your going to need a tech look at it............

randya

I did read the manual (multiple times) but honestly, it is pretty vague. What kind of cleaner would you suggest? And where can i find the cap station?

Thanks greg

You can use denatured alcohol or fluid from the 'Cleaning' cartidges (you break open a cartidge and cut one end of the bag).

Capping station is on the right side, the cubby hole where the head carriage rests when it is not printing. It has a flexible seal around it that seals around the bottom of the head so that the pump can pull liquid through the head into the waste tank. So be sure to keep the seal clean, but dont damage it. Always use a solvent compatible clean-room non-shedding material to clean these areas.

http://www2.mutoh.com/public/Manuals/User Operations Manuals/VJ-1204/ValueJet 1204 Maintenance.pdf

Be careful not to overflow the waste tank.

If you do no have the factory replacement pads for the waste tray, you can clean and DRY the ones that are in there or find a suitable replacement short term. If you go for a replacement make sure that they will not swell so much as to inhibit removal of the waste tray when a change is needed. The pads are designed to absorb and keep the waste liquid from sloshing around when the tray is removed.

Graphics2u

You can also take a soft cloth and soak it with alcohol and lay that over the capping station then move the head back to the capping station. That might possibly soften the dried ink and start to syphon it through the head. Other wise you probably need a head.

randya

You can also take a soft cloth and soak it with alcohol and lay that over the capping station then move the head back to the capping station. That might possibly soften the dried ink and start to syphon it through the head. Other wise you probably need a head.

Done correctly, I find this the be the most effective method for unplugging nozzles. Done incorrectly this could damage nozzles. As the idea is to get solvent in contact with the plugged nozzles themselves.

It is important to turn the machine off, use a non-shedding clean room wipe, and rewet the wipe every 15 minutes. Do this 3 or 4 times, then remove the wipe. Then do a series of 'Strong' cleans, then a Nozzle Check. Repeat until enough nozzles are available to do the quality of printing required.

If no nozzles ever fire, of course, check the ink lines under the cover to insure that they are full of ink.

greglauter

Thanks a lot guys for all of the replys! Special thanks to George. I am "soaking" the heads for the next couple of days. Then I will use the procedure that Graphics2u mentioned.If these don't work, time for a new printer head (ouch) Just preparing for the worst... Is the printer head something I can purchase and install myself or do I have to make the dreaded tech call for installation? Thanks again guys!

Greg

Ron Helliar

Personal opinion is that you need a service tech not so much to diagnose, but to give you some operator training if and when you get operational again. You'll find that buying private party, resellers aren't scrambling to work with you as it drains precious resources with little loyalty. Find out who services that model in your area and pop for a day of service diag. & or training. Your local resellers could also offer training classes. Letting a new printer owner leave his solvent machine turned off 2 months should be a criminal act. Do it on purpose and that's a different story....

S

Sign-Man Signs

Since it has set up for so long, I would go into the utility menu and do a color fill for each color. This happens to use sometimes when we run out of ink. We have laerned to "Fill" the tanks for each color before returning to print. Also do a couple of washes and power cleans. All these are in your utility menu.

totalimage

Call Sign supply in Orlando...Ask for Nano. he is the best of the best. He just tuned up our printers and was great....or call him direct 407-509-5552 tell him Total Image referred you. He does go to Tampa so it should not be a problem

greglauter

Thank you all for your replys! It turns out it is a bad seal on the Maintenance Assembly. I called Calgraph for service/diagnosis $400, new maintenance assembly $400, installation of new part $400, total $1,200. Lesson learned, priceless.

randya

Thank you all for your replys! It turns out it is a bad seal on the Maintenance Assembly. I called Calgraph for service/diagnosis $400, new maintenance assembly $400, installation of new part $400, total $1,200. Lesson learned, priceless.

When you get everything up and going, print out this and put it under the cover on your printer...
http://www2.mutoh.com/public/Manuals/User%20Operations%20Manuals/VJ-1204/ValueJet /1204 Maintenance.pdf

That seal needs regular cleaning, as do other parts of the printer.

ColesCreations

Just wonderin' - Is your pump / capping station maybe clogged also?

This happened on our brand new Mimaki when the tech (!) was showing us how to maintain it...

To find out- pour some cleaning liquid into the capping station and start the cleaning cycle... If nothing comes out- take it apart and clean...

Cy Fan

Have you already ordered to have the tech come out. If not let me know I had a simialr problem with my falcon outdoor, and had a tech from Calgraph come out who gave me several usefull tips on how to fix the problem if it were to occur again.