• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh XPJ1641 won't pull ink into the head

Adam Conrad

Long story is the head got stuck outside of the maintenance station and I was away and didn't know so it dried out. It wouldn't print at all so I just bought a new head and installed it. Now I can't get the new head to pull any ink into the dampers. My maintenance station works and I have tried Initial charge 6-7 times and I can't get any ink into the lines or the dampers. It's almost like the new head is clogged. I had Bell and Howell tech here all day yesterday and we can't get this printer to print. He thought it might be an air lock. We were able to use syringes to pull ink out of the lines so we know they aren't clogged. Here is a picture of the top of the head. We are not getting any error messages. I hope some brilliant person on this forum has already solved a similar problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• PXL_20240716_201925570.jpg
    PXL_20240716_201925570.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 83

Ssignature

first of all, try priming the dampers. You can do this by putting a little bit of cleaning solution in each camper with a small syringe. Be careful not to put too much pressure on the damper because the cellophane film on the outside can break.
The next thing to check for is air leaks at the top of the damper. It’s a twist like arrangement and you have to make sure it’s locked in place

netsol

ARE THE DAMPERS FULL?
was captop replaced? or at a minimum was the felt pad replaced? (easier to change captop)
next question is, of course, why didn't the bell & howell tech change captop? followed by

Adam Conrad

first of all, try priming the dampers. You can do this by putting a little bit of cleaning solution in each camper with a small syringe. Be careful not to put too much pressure on the damper because the cellophane film on the outside can break.
The next thing to check for is air leaks at the top of the damper. It’s a twist like arrangement and you have to make sure it’s locked in place
Thanks for the tip - I will try filling them up to prime them

Adam Conrad

ARE THE DAMPERS FULL?
was captop replaced? or at a minimum was the felt pad replaced? (easier to change captop)
next question is, of course, why didn't the bell & howell tech change captop? followed by
Dampers are empty - here is a picture of the head *before* I replaced the head and the dampers were full. The tech said he was able to pull some ink into one of the dampers but couldn't get it to print anything. He didn't replace any parts. Captop and felt pad not replaced. One thing that surprises me on these printers is that the ink line just snaps into the damper - I tried looking at youtube etc and I noticed other dampers have screwed in connections to the dampers.

Attachments

• PXL_20240705_194006861.jpg
    PXL_20240705_194006861.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

netsol

my only experience with them (bell & howell) is from reading post on this site & DEALING WITH BELL & HOWELL WHEN THEY WERE ACTUALLY BELL & HOWELL
I find myself unimpressed.
a 5 year old could have AND WOULD HAVE filled the dampers with a syringe (and he was there ALL DAY?)
i think you have the basis for a law suit.
unless someone can explain this to me (someone experienced ) YOU HAVE BEEN SWINDLED

netsol

there are about 6 or 7 techs on this site who, i will admit, know more than i do about these situations
and i will SHUT UP if one of them disagrees with my assessment
if you don't have a syringe, i would suggest you order one of those tapered syringes from solventinkjet.com
probably not a bad idea to order the captop as well

IN THE MEAN TIME,
take some cleaning fluid, if you have it
OR isopropyl at least and KEEP THE CAPTOP WET, and run a daily cleaning
1 wet the captop
2 cleaing cycle
3 wet the captop

let keep from destoying that printhead

Joe House

Sign Equipment Technician
I would pull with a syringe from under the cap top. And the cap to should be new if you replaced a head.
It's tough with some Mutoh printers and I don't remember that particular model, but if there are 2 hoses or not if so clamp one off while you syringe the other one. This will tell you if you've got a tight seal or not. If the syringe doesn't pull ink or pull the plunger back in, you've got an air leak some where.
My next check would be to pull from the bottom of the dampers and fill each damper. Then try printing.
I've also used a syringe with a hose to push- gently- cleaning fluid through the print head. Don't use isopropyl here. I've seen it react poorly with solvent inks.

Good luck

Adam Conrad

Update and thanks for all who contributed. Turns out as soon as I replaced the cap top the printer came to life. All printing normally with the new head installed. Thanks again!

I now have an issue that the printer keeps asking for a head cleaning. While its printing etc which disables the panel so you can't pause or feed or anything. It also halts the printingso if you don't do a head cleaning you can't print.

Again thanks for all for all of the help!

netsol

yes, joe
cleaning solution trumps isopropyl EVERYTIME

i was just getting antsy how long that captop had been dry

at least with the rolands and mutohs i think isopropyl beats a dried out captop every time

Ssignature

Just to let everyone know, Adam is a customer of ours (Fellers) who basically got hung out to dry by the regular Service contractor that the manufacturer uses— ahem. Despite what the tech told Adam, the manufacturer has no record of having talked with the tech, who replaced his head and left with the printer unable to pull ink. With our assistance, we talked him through the problem and he’s up and running He now has an issue with the smart cards reading empty with full bags of ink Since Mutoh no longer ships cards, the solution is to remote in and with MSA, we insert a ULK file which allows the printer to use up the inks
image000001.jpeg