• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My latest buzz....

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
After thirteen years of keeping bees, I ran my last honeybee out on a rail last year after my daughter was stung and had a bad reaction.

I missed them so much that I put an empty hive at the back of my property and hoped to catch a swarm from the forrest this spring. It looks like yesterday was the big "move in" day.

They're such awesome little bugs.

JB

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 61
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 72

rfulford

Congratulations! That is really cool. I have been entertaining the idea of bee keeping as a future hobby.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Here is the ultimate source for beekeeping on the web: http://www.beesource.com

There's everything you could ever want...or need to know, along with people who can guide you every step of the way. There's something for every skill level of beekeeping and interest...such as honey production, apitherapy, biological beekeeping (organic, purist approach to keeping bees), etc...

One summer after I was laid off from my job, the bees kept food on the table through some pretty lean weeks. I set up a small observation hive (glass sides) on my honey table at the local farmer's market and then proceeded to let the bees do the selling.

Most folks weren't really interested in the honey, but they loved watching the bees. After a few minutes of watching the bees, I would offer them a taste of honey on a Lorna Doone shortbread cookie. After their first taste, they were hooked and usually walked away with a quart or two of honey. It was the best dang marketing strategy ever. At the end of the afternoon, I made my own beeline to the supermarket and traded my honey profits for groceries.

That was one of the most discouraging layoffs I'd ever experienced, but the bees sure kept my spirits up.

Multi-floral (many flower varities) honey is fantastic and tastes nothing like what you get at the store. Support your local beekeeper and see what they have to offer.

BTW...we're now in the prime honeybee swarming season here in the Midwest. I won't go into a long dissertation of why they swarm, but do a google search and prepare to be amazed. Usually, it begins with the overcrowding of their present accommodations. With all the rain we've had, the bees have been cooped up for weeks with nothing to do but sit around and wait for sunshine.

Most honeybee swarms are not usually agressive since they have nothing to defend (young bees and honey). But you should still let an experienced beekeeper deal with them, just in case.

Check out this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym_9Xydj5SM

JB

Last edited: