• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Mystery Material. Need help identifying.

SS7318

A client came in with an 8"x8" square sample of an light orange flexible plastic sheet, almost like Polystyrene. I don't have calipers handy to measure the thickness, but it seems to be 1/64" or similar thickness to a cardstock. Surface has a slight texture to it. My searches have come up dry. I know I've seen this material before in other colors but I cannot for the life of me remember what it might be called. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_1994.jpg
IMG_1995.jpg

Last edited:

DL Signs

Never go against the family
What's it's intended purpose? That might help someone narrow it down.
First guess would be HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) since it's colored. Most other products that thin only come in black or white. You have a place right in Richmond you could hit up with that sample that handles all that kind of stuff.

J W Thoms

Looks like High density polyethylene. I am in Canada and buy from Roechling plastics. It comes in .023", .035" thick
We purchase with UV inhibitors for outdoor use. It has a light texture on both sides

SS7318

What's it's intended purpose? That might help someone narrow it down.
First guess would be HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) since it's colored. Most other products that thin only come in black or white. You have a place right in Richmond you could hit up with that sample that handles all that kind of stuff.
Thank you! Reached out to the client to see what she is applying this material to (with pics). Awaiting her response so I can either find a similar or more applicable material in addition to bringing the sample to Polymer Shapes to help with identifying.

SS7318

Looks like High density polyethylene. I am in Canada and buy from Roechling plastics. It comes in .023", .035" thick
We purchase with UV inhibitors for outdoor use. It has a light texture on both sides
I will look into the products at Roechling. Thank you for the suggestion.