• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help for design

Patentagosse

My friend is a Top airbrush artist, 'has figured several times in biggest airbrush / bikes magazines across canada - USA... a living legend! He's actually getting a very special request he couldn't handle alone. As we work together quite often on jobs, he has decided to put the pressure on me for this particular one. A customer showed up at his shop to get accessories painted (hardcase saddlebags & fairing) to match his special edition bike. Usually he's skilled enough to recreate about anything textured or special colors but this one is a PITA. I'm also the kinda guy who always found a way to reach my goals but I'm so overloaded that my brain is completely OFF at the moment. The only part we have to recreate the pattern is front fender which is all in curves so a scan is nearly impossible (?)

He will do the design (colors) but 'needs the background printed and applied on the jobber parts. To get the silver metallic color, I'll have to print on cast silver material (which I already did few times successfully) but how the hell can we recreate the swirls pattern on Photoshop?

Bike is a Victory limited Corry Ness edition in case some folks here wonder.

Any suggestions welcome :frustrated:

Attachments

• janv2012 004.JPG
    janv2012 004.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 65

Patentagosse

I thought 'bout something like that but as the saddlebags will be mounted 1" away on each side of rear fender, the pattern has to fit in size, color and subtilities of the pattern itself. Engine turn also has overlapping pattern which hide a part of each "circle", the actual design is different because the circle are almost complete, just touching each other on 4 sides.

I've decided the ask the pros here in case someone already met a similar challenge. One thing is sure, this has been printed, not airbrushed directly on the parts. There's no way you can spray this pattern evenly everywhere on tank, fenders, side covers... It has to be printed so in fact, THERE'S A WAY TO DO IT. As I'm not an expert in Photoshop, maybe there's some tricks I haven't mastered yet with tolls provided (like brush pattern)

Patentagosse

In case some would throw this idea, YES we asked the mfg if we can send the parts to get 'em match. You figure, they replied NO... they only can replace actual parts mounted on bike at delivery (in case of accident, they replace parts upon proof of purchase by owner AND serial number + pictures of ruined / wrecked parts)...

4R Graphics

I was thinking engine turn as well. So you say engine turn wont work well try this. Take engine turn in to what every program you use and redraw just one turn then make copies and have 4 then turn it into a pattern and there you go. It will require some trial and error on the drawing part but should work out. Also you could use photoshop ccut out the overlapping turns and fill with slices of turn design and clean it up a little and then make a pattern. Also take pic of original design and get to work in photoshop it can be reproduced just wont be fun hope your getting good pay as it may be a real pain to do.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Looks to me like a round piece of scotch brite spun into a silver base coat.

Are all the circles exactly the same? If so then maybe it is printed. Build the pattern in PS and blur it, turn the fill opacity down and layer it up.

Dave Drane

A true airbrush artist would have nothing to do with Photoshop?? You must be reading the wrong magazines??

visual800

I could replicate that.

That is not even close to engine turned. If I had to replicate this I would zoom in on about 3 or 4 with camera and redo the art is flexi and pull it over to illustrator and finish it up. close would get you by on this. It doesnt appear to be that big of a deal actually. I kinda dig it

Patentagosse

I only got this pic by email from my friend. Maybe with real piece in hands I would find my way to do it but by asking fellow members here, I thought maybe someone would have a clue on how this design has been created at first (plug-in or whatever it may be).

If we had to recreate this paint scheme for another bike, yes, I would be able to do something within the same ballpark but mounting parts next to the originals put the challenge at another level.

I'll wait a li'l for my friend to bring up the fender and we'll see if I still want to take part of the project or not. I'm working alone here (design station, print station and on the floor to wrap vehicle) so I don't want to get grounded for few hours just for that job (while +10 jobs of an average of $1500 are waiting in line...) 'Not sure the bike owner want to spend that much... (I haven't figured a price yet as it's gonna be complicated and knowing I'm very picky when it comes to "match" something...)

Thanks for your help guys.