• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Perf Cutting In Flexi

Charlie J

I'm trying to learn how to do a perf cut or half cut in flexi with my graphtec. I've just watched the video on graphtec's website that shows how to do this in Cutting Master 2, but I'd like to know how do this in flexi.

Thank in advance.

HulkSmash

To cut in flexi you have to have your digital print ready, and then select the contour cut tool which is in the tool bar, and it'll print with crop marks around your print.

Is that what you were asking?

Charlie J

Not exactly. I know how to do a contour cut. What I'm trying to do is a Perf-Cut to create a pop-out decal.

This is the video on graphtec's website that shows how to do this in Cutting Master 2.

By the way I'm using a Graphtec FC-8000.

CheapVehicleWrap

You also have to have a graphtec with a 2 position tool holder. Even then it's a half assed solution to a seemingly simple problem.

AUTO-FX

In flexi, you can choose the type of contour outline - solid path or dotted line path. You would choose the dotted line path , and when you go to cut, you need to increase your downforce.Experiment with downforce. Also will likely cause wear and tear on teflon strip.

Bradster941

A couple years ago someone posted on how to do this on your FC7000 using a setting directly on the plotter, then re send the cut job. It worked great.

cgsigns_jamie

I do like Bradster suggests.

I send the contour cut like normal so it cuts the Vinyl.
Then I move the knife into Tool Position 3 and select my PerfCut condition on the plotter.
Send the job again from Production Manager and it's done!

My FC-8000 came with a DVD by Mark Rugen and that's how he explained it.

Charlie J

Ok this image shows that I have two contour lines. The one on the inside is tough to see because it is inside the black outline. The color of the inside contour is gray and the color of the outside contour is red.

attachment.php

Here I have the cutting window open in the Rip/Print menu. You can see that I have two drawing colors.

attachment.php

Here I have clicked "edit" and I'm going to assign a condition to the gray path. I have also unchecked "use same driver options for all colors"

attachment.php

Here I have assigned a different condition number to the red contour.
attachment.php

So from here, you just have to edit your conditions on your cutter to the settings that you desire. For the red contour line I have my condition set to perf cut. When you have finished all of this, you will be able to send the job from production manager, it will cut the entire job with the first condition, then it will ask you to switch to tool position 3, and you can continue with your perf cutting.

Attachments

• 1_two contour lines.jpg
    1_two contour lines.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2,094
  • 2_Contour Lines must have diffent color stroke.jpg
    2_Contour Lines must have diffent color stroke.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,359
  • 3_Different Conditions for diffent cutting options.jpg
    3_Different Conditions for diffent cutting options.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,022
  • 4_different cutting condition.jpg
    4_different cutting condition.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,001

busypc

contour cut and perf cutting

I have struggled with this, too. I am using Flexi 8.5 and have a Graphtec FC8000. I am printing at this moment and will try to contour cut, then perf cut. We'll see what happens. Tell me this, though--anyone---what's the use of having a the Graphtec plugin for Illustrator if you can't print on large format printer from illustrator? Am i missing something? I have a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor. If it can be done, i would certainly like to know the steps from Illustrator.:smile:

Case

I have struggled with this, too. I am using Flexi 8.5 and have a Graphtec FC8000. I am printing at this moment and will try to contour cut, then perf cut. We'll see what happens. Tell me this, though--anyone---what's the use of having a the Graphtec plugin for Illustrator if you can't print on large format printer from illustrator? Am i missing something? I have a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor. If it can be done, i would certainly like to know the steps from Illustrator.:smile:

The purpose of the plugin is so you can cut from Illustrator or Corel.... Some people only have rip software that outputs to printers only for printing and they do not have cutting options-----Whether it be regular vinyl cutting or print to cut.......Someone can design print to cut files with the plugin, save the job and send to a rip software, load it on their plotter and then cut it from the plugin.......They can also just do regular vinyl plotting.............So there is a huge purpose for it..........Not going to help someone like you that has FLEXI though(you can print and cut from flexi)... Flexi made Graphtec's plugin Cutting Master 2 for them...

Case

PMG

on the fc 7000 plotter.......menu then hit next 2 time then ...function 1 then PREF. LINE type

busypc

DUH I figured it out. I got everything set up correctly and i am getting the contour cut (perfectly) and it pauses for me to change the blade position. However, when it begins cutting again the perf cut is off about 1/4" on each decal. WHAT IS UP!!! I'm really frustrated. I have a job waiting (of course) and don't want to have to hand cut all of these decals.

MHester

DUH I figured it out. I got everything set up correctly and i am getting the contour cut (perfectly) and it pauses for me to change the blade position. However, when it begins cutting again the perf cut is off about 1/4" on each decal. WHAT IS UP!!! I'm really frustrated. I have a job waiting (of course) and don't want to have to hand cut all of these decals.

Did you ever figure this problem out with the 1/4" shift? I'm having the exact same problem as you. Am I wrong in thinking that I can contour and perf in one pass?