• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help picking printer cutter.

Blakesan

Hi ,

I'm a graphic designer from New Hampshire . I have been designing for about 7 years with my company now. I was just in the middle of expanding and I'm about to buy a printer. I had a guy I hired that is supposed to be very knowable in printing set everything up and do the research. unfortunately he lost a close family member and he had a complete breakdown and has been in assisted living center he won't talk to anyone.

that leaves me in my predicament. He was right in the middle of picking printers and supplies. I wanted to know if I could get some help. I know we wanted to print and cut up to 54" and that we want to print a various assortment of things , Banners , cut decals , print and cut stickers , large car decals , and whatever else we can.

He had 2 printers he told me he was going to look at in the area - both used but supposedly in new condition and both were supposibly serviced by a

the choices were
-Roland Versa camm SP-540v , Marked at 9700 , he had the guy talked down to 9100.00
-
[FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif] Roland Soljet Proii-v 545-EX , Marked at 7500 , he had it talked down to 7000[/FONT]

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif, Times New Roman, serif]We just acquired 2 large accounts to print large quantities of clear stickers with printing on them. I get a lot of banner jobs too I would like to print.

Also if someone could point me in the direction of some good clear sticker material in use solvent bottles for either of these machines that would be helpful. I was told
[/FONT]CLEAR ENAMEL RECEPTIVE , but it seems a little pricey.

so do those prices look good? Which one should I go with? Any recommendations for a good clear sticker material for plastic solvent bottles ?

Thank you so much friends, any type of help is useful.

player

You need to know the total printing hours, and the hours on the print heads, then check the print tests to see if the heads are clogged or deflecting. Maintenance records would be good to see. Is the unit clean? Well maintained?

You might be wise to look into new printers... For $5K+ more you might get a new printer/cutter with a 2 or 3 year warranty and training. Worth looking into.

kanini

If you're going to make decals for bottles with solvents you need to laminate the decals so don't forget a laminator if you don't have one already. If I remember correctly the Soljet Pro has more printheads than the SP making it faster but also more expensive if you need to change it heads so check that they are in good shape. Good luck!

Blakesan

You need to know the total printing hours, and the hours on the print heads, then check the print tests to see if the heads are clogged or deflecting. Maintenance records would be good to see. Is the unit clean? Well maintained?

You might be wise to look into new printers... For $5K+ more you might get a new printer/cutter with a 2 or 3 year warranty and training. Worth looking into.

unfortunately I only have 11k to buy the printer some material and spare parts. One printer only has 30 hours on it and one that's more money has been regularly services by a roland tech.

Blakesan

If you're going to make decals for bottles with solvents you need to laminate the decals so don't forget a laminator if you don't have one already. If I remember correctly the Soljet Pro has more printheads than the SP making it faster but also more expensive if you need to change it heads so check that they are in good shape. Good luck!

I thought I could print on some materials with out laminating. The bottles will hold a alcohol based oil.

I would recommend a separate print and cut set up. I own a roland versacamm vs-540. While it's nice to have it in one machine, it's also nice to pull it out of the printer and have another job going say a banner while the cutter is cutting the other job. If space is a factor I would obviously say a print and cut is good. I've worked out of my living room before and having a print and cut is great for minimal space

you ou also have to determine budget. Print speed is a big factor as well. When I got my printer I had various ink options, I too was very inexperienced and I had a partner who claimed to know everything and really knew very little. I have a dual ink setup which is great, the printer prints fast. I just don't have clear, white or metallic capabilities which would be nice.

Robert M

Roland SC545EX

Stay away from that one, it is old and slow. That printer is a six color unit that has six print heads and is over 10 years old. You should also consider the RIP software, the 545x may be running the old colorchoice RIP which they no longer support.
Mutoh now has a 24" print/cut system for under 10K
You should get a sample of the solvents you want to label, the inks in those printers may run if they come in contact with that mixture.

Last edited:

AF

I can't think of any reason you would be able to get away with not laminating these labels.

k.a.s.

You may be able to get away with not laminating small decals (although it would be BETTER if you did), but you will not be able to print nicely on clear without white ink. Unless the bottle is white, then it may be ok.

Kevin

31legen

Printer/cutter

I'm using a new mimaki cjv130 and am really impressed. If you can I'd go solvent inks versus Eco-sol inks as well. If you can find a used mimaki make sure it's running the single dx5 head.