• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with a pdf

149motorsports

I got a pdf i need to get the logo out of it to cut in vinyl my friend sent me for his race car, if anyone can help me out id appreciate it, i never did this before but was told it can be done:covereyes:

Sign_Boy

Right click open with - what ever vector program you use - illy / corel
That is if the file is vector

AUTO-FX

Well, I've got it all ready for you, and you can have it on one condition. You gotta join up as a premium subscriber.....:beer:signs101::rock-n-roll:

Sign_Boy

OK I hate to break it to you but here is what I was able to open.
First they didn't convert the fonts to outlines - I'm thinking it's CompactaBT-Bold
Secondly the image to the left was placed behind the new copy and a clipping mask was applied to remove the old copy. The image a a bitmap so it's going to have to be re-created.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Tree.jpg
    Tree.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 63

Sign_Boy

Well, I've got it all ready for you, and you can have it on one condition. You gotta join up as a premium subscriber.....:beer:signs101::rock-n-roll:

It's well worth it well maybe not for this file but in general what you'll get out of it is worth it!!!!!!:thumb:

If you have an older version of flexi, it won't recognize newer pdf versions. A friend of mine has to go into Acrobat and save his pdf files as version 4.0 to work with Flexi 7.6.

AUTO-FX

if you can get it into flexi, you might do what i did - rasterize it, trace it ( the tree ) then get rid of the imported file and add your words. that's "Souvenir" BTW.

Drip Dry

If you have CS2 you can use the "place" function to get the vectors from a PDF.
Here are the instructions courtesy of the Vector Doctor in another post.
The only problem is that if it was a raster image that was put in the pdf, then it will still be a raster when you get it out.

===========Posted by the Vector Doctor=============

1. Create a new file, any size will do.

2. Click on File -> Place and select the pdf file. The dialog box will show link and template. Checkmark on Link but DO NOT check template. Click OK

3. The file should display with the bounding box around it. Now click on object -> flatten transparency in the menu. You will get another dialog box to come up. Make sure raster/vector balance is set to 100% vectors. Also check "convert all text to outlines". All other checked boxes are not of great concern when it is the missing font you are after. I have attached a screen shot of the "flatten transparency settings. Click OK.

4. YOU'RE DONE! You now have a pdf file and you did not need the fonts in order to open. IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that this does not help you out if you want to edit the text. If that is needed, then you must buy the font. This simply allows you to open up pdfs without having the necessary fonts installed.

5. The only thing left may be a bounding box that you can remove. In Illustrator, I click on the direct selection tool (shortcut A on keyboard). Drag across the bounding box only. Hit delete twice, and that is now gone.

Fred, maybe you can put this up somewhere as a tutorial.
======================================================

Thanks Vector Doctor...this got me out of many a jam

Sign_Boy

if you can get it into flexi, you might do what i did - rasterize it, trace it ( the tree ) then get rid of the imported file and add your words. that's "Souvenir" BTW.

My bad I was just going by what it told me was missing - didn't pay all that much attention to the font :thumb: