• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help with Gerber GS15 plus connection

sgbarden

I have a new Gerber GS15 plus. I am trying to connect it to a Windows 7 64 bit with Omega composer 4.0. I got the adapter cable from Gerber to connect the serial port to a USB port. I followed all the instructions, when the cable was connect it did a self download of the apropriate drives and ports. Everything seemed to go smoothly. The plotter had already been installed. I went into the Composer Que Manager and told the plotter and chose the USB serial port from the active devices list. The plotter was turned on and set to swivel knife, single cut. When I sent over a test plot I got a communications error message. I went back through all the steps. Disconnected and reconnected everything and got the same message again. The I went to my device manager to make sure all of the ports and updates were installed correctly, they seem to be fine. Another test plot had the same result. After looking at my cables again I noticed that the end of the serial cable that directly connect to the plotter is a 25 pin port. But it only has three pins sticking out. Is the right? Is that the problem? So far in internet research has been inconclusive. Any insight or help would be really appreciated.

idsignsil

Just looked at mine, and it only has 3 pins as well. I am running 4.0 on a Win 7 64 bit. It took me a while on the phone with a Gerber tech to get it all running smooth. I would try and give them a call. It seems that you have it all set up correctly.

Tony Teveris

The Plotter USB to Serial cable is to be setup using the COMx: port. When you installed the driver/cable it installs and sets up a virual COMx: port. That port is what you assign to the plotter, NOT USB:

You should then have the connect as follows:

computer usb port -> Gerber USB to Serial cable -> original Gerber 9 to 25 pin cable -> plotter

round man

in the term comx port the "x" in comx means the port number you see listed in device manager for that port,...like com1 com2 or com3,... the serial port adapter will be listed under the ports section in control panel/device manager(view set to icons) or in control panel/hardware and sound /device manager if you have the view settings in control panel set to category