• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Need Help with Silvering in Lamination Process

siphon56

Hi all,

I'm having issues with silvering when laminating IJ180 before UV printing. After using a heat laminator roll-to-roll, the silvering persists even after five days. Would a cold press laminator roll-to-roll be more effective?

If anyone has a cold press laminator and can help with a test job, I'll cover shipping both ways and pay for the job.
Thanks

netsol

heat assist is the tetm for the heated rollers a laminator like my seal 400 uses AS OPPOSED to a laminator that "encapsulates" (melts) The material like a social security card, medicare card or drivers license.

i am confused, though, you say you are laminating before printing?
the normal process is i would printbwith my roland, on psa vinyl, ALLOW IT TO OUTGAS A FEW HOURS, then lsminate, to protect from scratches, etc.

silvering might occur, but typically disapears in a couple days

gentle heat eliminates the silvering, immediately, in many cases

i am far from an expert on this. hopefully others will respond

siphon56

heat assist is the tetm for the heated rollers a laminator like my seal 400 uses AS OPPOSED to a laminator that "encapsulates" (melts) The material like a social security card, medicare card or drivers license.

i am confused, though, you say you are laminating before printing?
the normal process is i would printbwith my roland, on psa vinyl, ALLOW IT TO OUTGAS A FEW HOURS, then lsminate, to protect from scratches, etc.

silvering might occur, but typically disapears in a couple days

gentle heat eliminates the silvering, immediately, in many cases

i am far from an expert on this. hopefully others will respond
Gotcha! Thanks for your feedback. Yes, i am laminating before printing to give the vinyl wrap some thickness. For what we do we need at-least 4mil thickness with good adhesive which 180 series has. Hopefully, other will reply.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
If you’re producing quality you don’t print wraps on a uv printer.
You don’t get a perfectly smooth surface so laminating won’t be done well.
The results are the same as if your autobody guy didn’t sand the bodywork before painting

greysquirrel

Have you done this before? I’m concerned the lamination on top of lamination will fail. You can get thickness through the film you are using. What product are you producing?

siphon56

Have you done this before? I’m concerned the lamination on top of lamination will fail. You can get thickness through the film you are using. What product are you producing?
I am using 180cv3, i really like the adhesive of it. I just want to increase its thickness. Any suggestions or ideas?

Rohit Prasad

WWW.COMPASSCOLOR.COM
I think what you need is a laminate designed for uv prints. Mactac makes one called the perma color luv. It has an adhesive specially formulated to go on top of uv cured inks.

SlikGRFX

Maybe he wants the matte or varnish effect on the wrap. In which case, printing on top would be the only way to do it.

Have you tested how well the ink sticks to the laminate? Have you tried printing some and stretching it round a compound curve? Those are the things I would do before offering this to a paying customer.

Edited to add. Unlaminated UV prints are hard to clean. Dirt gets trapped in the texture of the ink and becomes discolored. It’s obviously more noticeable on white and pale colors. Your wrap might look good on day 1, but long term I don’t know.

netsol

in the last month or so, SOMEONE commented that depending on your settings there is an inverse relationship between ADHESION & COLOR INTENSITY.
is it possible you are not looking at silvering, but, just an ink chemistry that doesn't play well with the substrate you chose?

SlikGRFX

in the last month or so, SOMEONE commented that depending on your settings there is an inverse relationship between ADHESION & COLOR INTENSITY.
is it possible you are not looking at silvering, but, just an ink chemistry that doesn't play well with the substrate you chose?
I don’t think he has printed on the material yet. He has some laminated material which shows silvering that he intends to print onto with his uv printer.