• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

need help

I had to apply 184" x 11" stripe with lettering underneath it (I pre masked it). I have done this for 12 years and never had the problem I had yesterday. because I am by myself I applied it wet (using rapid tac application fluid) I left it to dry and went on to finish the other 2 sides including the stipe and lettering (the rest of the vehicle was applied dry) when I went back to remove the pre mask (again I wet it down to make easy removal) but the pre mask has cemented itself to the areas that do not have vinyl, and I do mean cemented. the only way I am getting it off is to rub it with my finger and I still have 140" to go and the blisters are starting to show. has anyone ever had this happen and if so how did you get it off.:banghead::Canada:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've never experienced anything like what you describe. What brand and version of premask are you using and which RapidTac are you using? Is the vehicle a factory finish or repainted? Are you working outside or indoors?

did you install this outside in the sun? if so i am assuming that you left the tape on the vehicle longer than the parts you installed dry while you worked out the wet app and waited for a bond.

i have seen this happen a couple of times on repainted vehicles with the conditions i have just mentioned.

i have also seen it happen with enamel and latex painted surfaces.

unfortunately the safest way to remove the tape is going to be to pick and roll off all of those little slivers of tape ... unfortunately i know exactly what you are facing... it is time consuming and frustrating to say the least.

the vehicle was a used one,but not repainted, it was done in the shop.I washed it down with soap and water and wiped dry, I used med tac premask and rapid tac 2 fluid. yes I waited about 1 to 1/2 hrs before I started to remove it. came off perfect where ever there is vinyl as for the rest it is toast. would appling heat to that area make it easier?

Med is short for Medium Tack premask, ( I am in mid roll and it is only about 2 months old) sold by East West

Last edited:

gabagoo

I have never hard of that brand of pre mask, where did you get it?

I would almost say you may have to use a high pressure washer or you could try using a steamer but you will have to be very careful .around the striping . the mask could be old stock.

gabagoo

sorry I was not thinking clearly, I would use the vinyl zapper on that nasty premask. again be careful around the stripe

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You would probably do best with a steamer/wallpaper remover. Wagner sells one at home improvement stores for about $50.