• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need some input, what would you do?

speedmedia

Ok, so this week I had to have a head replaced in my Mimaki. No biggie. Called a merch member up here who was very helpful and got the part overnighted and everything was grand.

My certified tech came this morning an put it in. Everything was good, we where chatting and I was going back and forth doing work and chatting with him. Have used him before, he is a great tech that really knows his stuff.

OK, here is where it gets weird. Everything was good. Nozzle test was perfect, alignment good he was going through and running all of the test and what not. I walked away for 5 minutes and came back and the head that was just replaced was missing nozzles and I noticed a ink slide on the vinyl that looked alot like a headstrike. I questioned it and he said he didn't know what was up and that it must be a faulty head and that since we didn't buy it from them they couldn't do anything about it...

Now I walked away again and noticed the mark from the apparent headstrike was gone. It appears he had wiped it off the vinyl. I was sort of at a loss. I do not like to wrongly accuse people but I didn't have a good feeling in my stomach. I think he was covering up an accident on his part and used the "other supplier" card and that he would come in and put in a replacement if the other company I got the head from would send a new one.

Just seems shady. I do not like to throw people under the bus but I spent my hard earned money to replace this part in an effort to get a better product from my printer and I am now where I started.

What would you do? Sorry for the book but I just need some input? Do I shell out another $1,000 and drop it or call someone to try to get a remedy?

Thanks,
Kurt

stickermonkey

1 single head strike shouldn't cause that big a prob...unless it was all the way down the media. I'd try a nozzle wash and see what that does.

:( sucks tho.

speedmedia

Yeah I did a 90 minute nozzle was followed by a strong wash and a couple of normal washes. Still there, exact same spot.

Any other ideas you might think I could try for it? Visibly it doesn't look damaged but it is not printing great by any means.

Thanks,
Kurt

Letterbox Mike

It's not uncommon to get bad heads straight from the factory, unfortunately. I ran into this once too. I think we went through 2 bad heads before we got one that was good. I agree, one head strike isn't going to ruin a brand new head unless it was a really nasty one, and even then I highly doubt it. I've had head strikes that I thought would or should literally destroy a head cause no damage or issues whatsoever.

stickermonkey

I was having issues after my supplier sent me a roll of banner material that had not been wrapped in plastic...and I didn't realize how dirty it was ...anyhow...it nearly recked my head. So...I left my head soak over a 4 day weekend...and when I came back in it was better...not perfect...but when there are only a couple nozzles not firing...I don't find that there is too much of a difference in print quality really. Honestly...when I got my printer brand new...after only a few months we needed the head replaced because it was faulty. The head that was put in always had a couple nozzles that would never fire since the day they installed it. I've been pumping out prints for over a year with this head and even since the banner material nightmare...I'm still finding that it's alright. I often will leave the machine in a nozzle wash over night by switching off the machine after I set the time to 1 minute...that way...it's all set to print the next day. I do that when I've laid down a lot of ink in one shift.

Hope this helps...I'm always looking to discuss my printer issues with Mimaki users.

:) Kyla

speedmedia

Yeah I know. I am always leery when buying them. Just seemed odd it went from printing perfectly to not the next print after the apparent headstrike. Maybe I am overreacting...

Thanks,
Kurt

stickermonkey

give it a nice long overnight or over weekend soak and see what happens...And give yourself one while you're at it!! lol Destressssssss ;)

Kyla

speedmedia

give it a nice long overnight or over weekend soak and see what happens...And give yourself one while you're at it!! lol Destressssssss ;)

Kyla

lol. Amen to that!!! :beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

I was just a bit concerned becasue everything was fine and then not and there is no explanation...

Thanks,
Kurt

stickermonkey

I was too...but then I just kept on printing and didn't notice much difference.

Whenever I get service work done..there is paperwork that the tech and I have to fill out and if there are any concerns I have...I note it there. Did you have anything like this? If not...maybe it's time for a new Tech.

:) Have a great weekend

Kyla