• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New and Need Advice on a printer

quint1444

I am currently in the window tinting business. I only do interior film on a decorative or architectural basis. Recently, I have been having clear and frosted vinyls and printing customer graphics on them, then installing on conference rooms. I have given an office to a graphic design guy in exchange for any work I need done. This type of printing is a very small part of my business. Now you have my background, here is my problem.
Typically I have a very slow turn around on getting my product printed. This causes problems for some of my large accounts and customer service. I have decided that it would be well worth the investment to purchase my own printer...used of course. My current guy uses an HP 8000s. Can anyone please advise me on a quality 64" printer that is solvent based? I have found some 9000 series for around $3500-4000, but not sure if that's the right one for me. RIP software? Any advice would be great? Thanks.

OldPaint

houston area? seems you might be better off finding another provider..........how many are there in your area????

2B

+1 to looking for another vendor, if they a concerned about their reputation then there should be minimal turnaround. there are several quality merchant members here that do print/ship.

When we do wholesale printing typical turnaround is same/next day shipping for our customers.

If you are interested in getting your own, why solvent?
personally Eco-solvent or latex is better no need for a dedicated ventilation system.
This shop is partial to the Roland machines

quint1444

It really boils down to price since I will not use it much. Eco, and latex are way over priced for my needs as I am not a sign shop. I only print what I need. The main reason is time. Every business has customers, and I am just another one to a sign shop. The delay from concept to install is to long. I run a "jump??...how high" business. If my client wants a printed film, I like know I can get it to them next day or so and at a great price. Why offer poor service on 1 small aspect of what I do and lose an account that is not replacable.

Solvent? Only because I saw the sign company use one. He uses an HP 8000s, and I have found some 9000s for around $3500 with a drier and ventilation. Obviously, I prefer eco or latex from what I have read, but 10-15k just makes it a bad investment for my purposes.

quint1444

Thanks. Probably will not be an over night deal, but it will be quick. I see it as a babystep to getting in the sign business for my clients. I am sure I will fall on my face a few times.