• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Build

Jace161

Hey Ken where did you purchase all your hardware from? Newegg is really the only one I've dealt with and trust.

briderx

Ahh.. The days of cheap products from Newegg.. I remember it like it was yesterday. Now, they've turned into a "regular" merchant. I really don't find their pricing to be that great anymore.. They also used to throw in free shipping on pretty much everything. Now, it's rare to find something on Newegg that I can't get cheaper elsewhere.

choucove

Newegg can have some good deals, but you have to really do your shopping around and find good combo deals or rebates. And even then, the rebates are just a hassle sometimes to get all filled out and wait around for $15 to come back. I still use it often to purchase things, as they have great service and turn-around time and just about everything.

I've also purchased some parts from zip-zoom-fly and had to go to other locations as well such as frozencpu.com - though they are more expensive on most of their items than Newegg they have some things that Newegg doesn't carry.

jasonx

With the advent of SSD do we need scratch disk drivers anymore? Or is the benefit lost?

Also if your running say 16GB of memory is it really that important anymore?

Last edited:

907customs

I don't know if it's necessary, but I just set up a scratch disk from my raid 0 ssd drives, and allocated 4gb of ram for photoshop...holy sh** it's fast. Also, overclocked to 3.4ghz, and very stable so far.

jasonx

Sorry I meant a separate drive for your scratch disk. So your using your raid 0 setup as your scratch disk in photoshop?

I think I'm going to follow your path.

Maybe you should run a photoshop test and post your result.

Spencer McMurtry

wow, that system must scream... how is windows 7? is the beta stable enough to use in a for work? i have only heard good things about windows 7 and am needing to upgrade to a 64bit os due to 32bit 4gb limit.

choucove

I have been working with Windows 7 as my main OS now for over a month, it has been a wonderful step up I feel, and have had very very little in the ways of crashes, instabilities, or compatibility issues. However, that being said, most of the work that I do with my computers is testing stuff first before it's rolled out business-wide for different places. I must suggest that if you wish to work with Windows 7 in your actual business, then wait until after the actual full release of Windows 7 RTM. It is currently slated for release on October 22, and pricing details have even been disclosed. Even then, I would suggest waiting a while after it's initial release as, inevitably with any OS release, there will be some issues at first. The beginning of next year is when we are currently slated for making the transition to Windows 7 from Windows XP.

907customs

so far, windows 7 is nice, i've had a couple of bugs with outdated drivers, and a couple compatability problems with software, but nothing sign specific. Photoshop, and Flexisign work great, and the printer and cutter were a breeze to get up and running.