• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new business what materials would you recommend i buy?

0igo

So i finally got my mutoh printer and i was wondering what material would you recommend i buy.
i plan on doing printed on vinyls, banners, and car wraps. i was wondering if anyone knew what that vinyl material was called that you could print on and see through it on the other side. people have them on their car windows and stuff, just wondering what it was called.

no trolls please lol.... i see you gino

Z SIGNS

If I was just starting out

I would by one of everything.
Just to be sure I am prepared for any job.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
To start off get a roll of the cheapest generic digital print vinyl you can find.
Use this to learn what your printer can do.
You'll also need it to find out what you can do with the software that drives your printer.
A good deal of it will end up in the trash. Get used to it.
Practice with different types of files, bitmaps vector files, eps/pdf/ai files that are mixes of both.
Work with files you make yourself and if you can, from customers, so you can see what issues you will be dealing with (THERE ARE A LOT). These are harder to spot and figure out when you are just starting out.
There are a lot of little details that will bite you in the butt in the beginning that you don't want to experience with an expensive wrap vinyl under the print head.
Once you get the basics down buy some banner material - this time stay away from the really cheap stuff. Low quality banner rolls can mess your new printer up - head strikes - fuzz sticking to the head and cleaning station etc. Get some mid range stuff and see how it prints. Pay attention to how banner runs through your printer. A full roll of good 54"x50m banner is 65-75 pounds. Some of the lower cost printers can't take the weight of a full roll so you have to split the running length into multiple rolls or beef up your media holders.
Depending on how far away (time wise) from supplies you are, you'll need to keep enough ink, cleaning supplies & material on hand to last longer than the time it will take to get more.
Basic stuff:
A roll of intermediate vinyl for temporary signs
A roll of cast vinyl (with air release) for longer term signs, vehicle graphics & wraps
A roll of intermediate laminate for the shorter term stuff
A roll of cast laminate for the cast stuff

Stuff to add on later:
If you are working with a car dealer a roll static cling is good to have - short roll if possible as it does not age well on the shelf
If you work with a convenience or grocery stores - solvent printable card stock (semi gloss or matt) sells well
Window perforated vinyl - for both stores and vehicles

Once you figure out the printable materials that will make you money look into backers to mount your prints on:
Coroplast - 4 to 6mil to start with.
Smooth PVC 1mil -3mil
Magnetic material.
Aluminum blanks - limit it to sizes you know you can sell.

This list could be much longer but you should start small and add on a little at a time ( unless you have tons of cash - then buy one of everything and start throwing ink).

wayne k
guam usa

0igo

To start off get a roll of the cheapest generic digital print vinyl you can find.
You'll also need it to find out what you can do with the software that drives your printer.
Practice with different types of files, bitmaps vector files, eps/pdf/ai files that are mixes of both.
Work with files you make yourself and if you can, from customers, so you can see what issues you will be dealing with (THERE ARE A LOT). These are harder to spot and figure out when you are just starting out.
There are a lot of little details that will bite you in the butt in the beginning that you don't want to experience with an expensive wrap vinyl under the print head.
Once you get the basics down buy some banner material - this time stay away from the really cheap stuff. Low quality banner rolls can mess your new printer up - head strikes - fuzz sticking to the head and cleaning station etc. Get some mid range stuff and see how it prints. Pay attention to how banner runs through your printer. A full roll of good 54"x50m banner is 65-75 pounds. Some of the lower cost printers can't take the weight of a full roll so you have to split the running length into multiple rolls or beef up your media holders.
Depending on how far away (time wise) from supplies you are, you'll need to keep enough ink, cleaning supplies & material on hand to last longer than the time it will take to get more.
Basic stuff:
A roll of cast vinyl (with air release) for longer term signs, vehicle graphics & wraps

Stuff to add on later:
If you are working with a car dealer a roll static cling is good to have - short roll if possible as it does not age well on the shelf
If you work with a convenience or grocery stores - solvent printable card stock (semi gloss or matt) sells well

Once you figure out the printable materials that will make you money look into backers to mount your prints on:
Smooth PVC 1mil -3mil
Magnetic material.

This list could be much longer but you should start small and add on a little at a time ( unless you have tons of cash - then buy one of everything and start throwing ink).

wayne k
guam usa

Thank you for everything. This has been some of the best advice yet. Thanks again

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Basic stuff:

Stuff to add on later:

Smooth PVC 1mil -3mil
Magnetic material.

wayne k
guam usa

Wow! What a great post!