• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New computer

stickygraphics12

I'm looking to buy a new computer and wondering if anyone is using a Dell workstation? Or if anyone has any suggestions on what would be a good design computer? My budget is going to be around $1500 and I'm trying to figure out what to buy? I have a Dell laptop and like it a lot, but have never even seen a workstation in action? Also I'm not even sure if this would be a good design computer?

Just wanna see some opinions out there!

choucove

For $1,500 you can do a lot with a computer these days. Dell business desktops can be nice, but in my opinion overpriced. Any custom-built computer business (Like Signburst here on the forums) can do better performance and offer better customer service, with customizing for your specific design needs.

There are a ton of threads out there with information about what to look for in a design computer, as well as personal preferences on brands, hardware, and more.

fisheye48

if there are any good computer shops in your area give them a call and see if they could build you one that will meet or exceed your expectations

trakers

It is hard to spend $1500 on a machine these days unless you just get stupid or get screwed, even a grand will buy a damn good box.

You can build your own and for $500 or $600 you could construct one heck of a unit.

Either way, since you are so close, I would wait until Oct. 22 and buy one with Win7 Pro 32-bit preinstalled rather than upgrading from Vista.

The last box I built for a dedicated RIP station ran about $500. It is a quad-core running full-bore memory, Win XP pro, yada-yada. It is a screamer.

miltondavis

I bought the following Dell workstation in 2007:
Dell Precision 690 Mini-Tower Quad Core Xeon Proc X5355 2.66GHz, 2 X 4MB L2 Cache 1333MHz, 2nd Processor,Quad Core Xeon Proc X5355,2.66GHz,2X4MB L2 Cache, 1333, Dell Precision 690 4GB, DDR2 ECC SDRAM Memory 667MHz, 8X512MB, win xp pro
(much faster @ cheaper price is available of course!!)

Very happy with it but way overpaid for it compared to building your own, Regardless of the cost the gold tech support from Dell has been more than worth it and wouldn't buy a dell with out it. Response time is very good and helped me out many times when I needed help quick. If you already have a good tech, or your well versed in computer tech/troubleshooting then you might not need it.