• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Direction

jkdbjj

We have had a fortunate opportunity to take our company another direction.

We are strongly considering in the next couple months transforming from a traditional sign shop, to a creative fabricating environment. Equipped with 3, 4 and 5 axis machines. In addition to the support of traditional printing machines, like flatbed and roll fed.

Problem, we would need to jump from our 2000 sqft to about 10000 sqft, get the machines in and up an running in 3 months. (looking at Frog 3D CNC)

We have a firm commitment from a large company wanting to do an exclusive contract with us for the duration of a year, which will more than pay for all the upgrades.

Other option, say no, continue to do what we currently do, and always wonder "what if".

Just looking for feedback from others.

Extra info, I do have people available that are experienced in both the designing of these dimensional jobs, and also people with field experience for proper implementation of the products. Me myself, know very little about the 3D market.

In my market of Charlotte, there is maybe 1 other company similar, but even then I don't think they will be able to do the things we will do, which is one of the key drivers in my decision. This contract would allow us to comfortably learn more about these unique jobs, and be better prepared to sell them once this contract comes to a close.

I suppose it would allow me to offer services to Signs101 in the 5 axis realm of carvings and signage as well.

What kind of things would you be considering?

Pat Whatley

Had a six hour planning meeting with two people who wanted to invest in me and put me in the corporate retail display business. Four hour meeting the next day. These were two guys with the connections to get me jobs, the engineering skills to figure out how to build whatever I could imagine, and the financial backing to make it all happen. I decided at the last minute to not do it. I can offer a crap load of excuses like I wasn't ready, I wasn't willing to borrow $150,000, I wanted to stay in signs because that's what I knew. Truth of the matter is I was scared. Staying where I was meant success....leaving meant risking horrible failure.

Eight years later it's still haunting me. Only recently did I realize that not taking the chance WAS the failure. Even if I did it and fell on my *** at least I'd have reached for the golden ring. You'll never be 100% ready to take a chance, you'll never know for certain what the future holds. You may get into this new venture and that guaranteed contract you think you've got falls apart and you find yourself screwed. That's the point you learn who you actually are....when you're fighting the good fight, putting yourself out there and challenging your abilities. Sticking with what you're already doing is going to give you the same thing you've already got....you're just riding that same old wave into old age where you'll look back on your life and wonder when you gave up on those dreams of awesomeness you had as a teenager. Do something new, challenging, demanding, and incredible. Force yourself to learn on the fly, react, adapt, claw and scratch your way to your goal.

Do it. Don't do it recklessly, do the math and make a plan....then just do it.

John Burroughs summed it up nicely....Leap, and the net will appear.

CP Signs

I would say GO! Set yourself apart from the rest. Reminds a bit of when we decided to go large format digital. We won a large bid, was gonna outsource, then decided to go for it. That contract paid the equipement, rent and more for a while and we've been enjoying it since. Good luck.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Not knowing much about a certain specialty in the sign business has some advantages.
There is a reason I don't make what I design, it's a lot of work and you have to rely
on quite a few people. Though for some reason I feel the need to try myself.

My only advice is, love your work. If this fits in that idea and has minimal risk. Why not?

I can't give you advice because it seems a little vague at what you are doing, but if the
people who are there to offer support can help, then seems you have enough to get this
started.

I work on large architectural sign projects and environmental graphics. Currently my big
client deals with apartment and redevelopments. The jobs can extend out, and permits and
paperwork can bog down the process. Do not deal with incompetent vendors no matter
how cheap they are.

There are other ways of getting work - high quality work - but seems everytime I suggest it
it falls on deaf ears. When you are ready, I can share that information if you have not found it
yourself.

visual800

There is a reason we are self employed. We have our own rules and our own ideas. Opportunities come your way and you have to make good decisions, take it or walk away. I myself have been approached by tint guys, other desingers to buy and printer and we can "clean up in this town".......of course my reply to that is " why do you need me to buy a printer, go buy your own"

IF this opportunity were to land in my lap I would do some intense financial figuring. Make sure the contract drawn up is legit and will endure the length of itself. Make yourself a pathway out if things do not go well. Will you be liable for any money.?
Another question, why you? You have no experience in 3D why did they want you? ( do not take offense to that)

it could be the chance of a lifetime or a failure BUT if it does fail you tried! Good luck

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure of your age, but if you're young enough [like 50 or under] I'd say go for it, after you fully understand your possible gains vs. losses.

Any shop worth their salt is going to have these kinds of opportunities from time to time. It's the nature of the beast. Someone else sees the potential.... and wants you to do the leg work and make the commitment. Only you know your own capabilities and shortcomings. Like Pat said, you'll always be looking back and wondering.... what if.............. ??

We had one about a year or two ago. I was almost ready to pull the plug and something inside said, better wait. It worked out

Billct2

I took a chance, and a cut in pay, whne I came to this shop 20 years ago.
But I was single and debt free, failure would have hurt, but not taken me out.
Now I have a family and multiple obligations so I would be incedibly reluctant to
risk our "security".
If you have the freedom to fail that is a wonderful thing.

rdmdarr

heres a bit of advise, open a new business and let that business buy the machines and "lease" it to you. that way if it fails and the banks come, they just take the "new" companies assets and not your business. :thumb:

Speedsterbeast

Pat, quite a candid reply to the OP's question. Good on you for offering such an experienced point of view. John, sorry you live like that. It's a tradgedy to me.

The two best things I ever did in my life were also the scariest:
-A summer-long circumnaviation of Lake Superior in a kayak. (2,000 km / 1,200 miles)
-Quitiing a good paying secure job to start my own business.

Both were well thought out, and planned down to every forseeable detail.
Both had unpredictable surprises along the way.
Both were a complete success
Both have enriched my life tremendously.

Good luck.

jkdbjj

Wow, what a great bunch of responses. Thank you all.

Couple of replies.
While I don't have direct experience with 3D, I have already completed a nice project for the company. So they are comfortable working with me as they move to Charlotte. Why me, since I have no 3D experience?
In Charlotte there is really very little option in way of 3D service for one, so even if they went with a firm out of the area, that also carries its own issues. So, the company is OK with me simply managing the project if I wish, produce the parts I can inhouse and sub out the parts I can't. Which lead to the current discussion, which the client is OK if I want to do it that way, bringing it all inhouse.
My passion is my kids and family, and the freedom my job has given me to spend with them. Consequently, while at work I prefer new challenges and am fascinated with new technology and admire 3D tremendously.
Both wife and I are theme park junkies and love reverse engineering while we wait inline at Disney or wherever. So this is a chance to do some of that on our own.

lastly, I am currently finishing a job worth over 100k with a vendor who approached me from this forum. They have utterly ruined this job and ruined a relationship with a large customer. My wife and I will not farm out any large projects any more. Sure a banner here or there from Sign365 or whatever, but never trusting another company with valuable customers of mine again. I simply can't afford for this to happen again.

i am excited to say, this Monday I am putting things in motion to get this going.

thanks again everyone, and I'll post updates and pics etc as I move along.

Pat thanks a bunch and everyone else for being decent people.