• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Gadget I picked up

Nuagedesigns

So this may not be a brand new tool but it was something I had come across on youtube and had to have. I saw the time saving it would save when opening up a backlit sign and troubleshooting bulbs and ballasts. Picked up a brand new one on EBAY for $125. Of course a handy multimeter will do the same but this will allow me to send my guy out to change bulbs and diagnose bad ballasts quickly and correctly.

Just thought I would share.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/instruments/lighting-testers/2210-20

FS-Keith

I was excited until i realized the pin tester will not work with HO lamps and the ballast tester only works with electronic ballasts.

CreatedDesigns

I have to say I think this is a worthless tool. I mean if the bulbs are blinking on and off you have a bulb problem. If they don't start at all you more than likely have a ballast problem. Dim or intermittent lighting you have a bad connection/bulb. On the other hand I have see almost every problem that could happen to a flouresent light. And I cannot see how this would help at all. At my other job they bought one of these and it has yet to be used. They did play with it in the shop for a few minutes and that was the end of it. Not to be all sour grapes I suppose it may help someone.

FS-Keith

I have to say I think this is a worthless tool. I mean if the bulbs are blinking on and off you have a bulb problem. If they don't start at all you more than likely have a ballast problem. Dim or intermittent lighting you have a bad connection/bulb. On the other hand I have see almost every problem that could happen to a flouresent light. And I cannot see how this would help at all. At my other job they bought one of these and it has yet to be used. They did play with it in the shop for a few minutes and that was the end of it. Not to be all sour grapes I suppose it may help someone.

dont take this the wrong way but have you ever done service work on a fluorescent lighting system? Every scenario you just described is incorrect.

CreatedDesigns

The only time this will change is if you are working with older systems with starters. But again that was years ago. Not much use of starters now.