• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New guy looking to buy a plotter

Ken

Welcome from BC.
I think the Graphtec will do you well.
SignCraft Magazine has an annual pricing guide. One of our members( below)..Graphextreme also has sign pricing software available.
Good luck!
Ken

mtm

Ok cool thanks guys. Sorry to the members offended by me asking questions. I couldn't find all of the answers I needed using the search function.

gvgraphics

Nothing wrong with asking questions. Just make sure you always look for the answer prior to asking via the search feature. This helps to keep down on the same old questions being asked time and time again.

As for another aspect of your question. Sign Warehouse I do has a location in KY that might benefit you. As for the bad things you have read, always remember there is 100 good things for every bad thing and only the bad is ever told, (O.K. 90% of the time only the bad is ever told). So use that info when thinking about Using them. As for my experience, mostly good, but every company will make mistakes. Even yours.

Sean

RedWolf

Is there a thread or a chart or anything that shows the going rates? How are the prices configured? Is it a certain cent on the square inch or what. Like does it sound reasonable to sell a 10"x10" decal for $10? How much would something like that usually sell for?

That is my normal charge for a 10" single color decal that does not require alot of design work. Installation not included.

Jackpine

H&H is in you neighborhood. Grimco, Gregory, Fellers, Sign Warehouse, Becon Graphics to name a few. Do as gvgraphic said....do you homework.....Google is your friend.
So do you guys know of any good websites where I can buy my supplies? I really just need to look through some websites and get an idea on what the overhead on something like this will be

mtm

Ok cool thanks again guys. Yeah I talked to a few people from signwarehouse and they seemed really friendly. Not only that but I can get my supplies from them in about a day or two considering they are in KY.

Right-On

One thing!!

1 thing to thank about is later down the road it's hard for mail order vinyl co.'s to ship 4x8 or some sheet good stuff like alum. sentra etc. get your vinyl from your fav. mail order but find a local co. that delivers save U a lot of head scratching on pricing jobs in the future when you get the request for other things besides lettering jobs.:Cool 2:

mtm

Oh the plotter I'm looking at is only a 24" cut so I doubt I will be needing any 4x8 sheets.

RedWolf

Never know if you will or wont need any 4x8 sheets. I use a 24" cutter and have found that doing some local research for sheets will help me expand my product line a bit. Doing the research now to get prices and such is much better than looking at the customer who wants a sign made and you do not know prices for sheets locally. Getting prices doesn't mean you have to have them in stock. Will also save time knowing where to go when that sign order comes in.

chopper

the graphtech seems to be a good choice...
as far as needing 4x8 sheets since you will only have a 24 inch plotter is a over sight on your part, most vinyl comes in 24 inch wide rolls
you can do things like tile the letters etc... and what are the chances that the copy will be taller than 24 inches??? most signs have more than one row of copy and more times than not it is less than 24 inches.....
as far as the minimal investment with huge profit part you are being mislead,
this is no gravy train, and if you do not have good design skills you wont go far, it is like any other business you will need to work hard to get established
and maintain a customer base, good luck //chopper

Cadmn

as far as the minimal investment with huge profit part you are being mislead,
this is no gravy train, and if you do not have good design skills you wont go far, it is like any other business you will need to work hard to get established
and maintain a customer base, good luck //chopper
chopper but all the equipment sellers said "easy Money"/get rich quick,you mean they lied? hmmm I thought I wasn't doing something right according to them we are all rich by now. darn & I thought it was gonna be easy,because they said so!
:beer:beer

chopper

shhh I am trying not let this secret out.....or every one will want to be a sign maker, you need to buy my book ...how to make signs in your spare time for fun and mega profit...//chopper
chopper but all the equipment sellers said "easy Money"/get rich quick,you mean they lied? hmmm I thought I wasn't doing something right according to them we are all rich by now. darn & I thought it was gonna be easy,because they said so!
:beer:beer

hattersroxie

im a gerber junkie. in my opinion
(only an opinion...) go with gerber- its all ive ever used and ive never had a problem with one- have had mine for 10 years and it still works great!!!

mtm

Guys I never thought I was going to "get rich quick" I want to do this so I can establish myself as a business owner and express my graphic design skills. I never expected this to be easy money.