• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Hard Drive advice needed!

rcook99

I have a backup hard drive failing. It is a WD 64mb cache 640GB. I also have a twin which is my primary drive at this time(Fingers Crossed) that works fine at this time. I feel I might as well replace both being they are on borrowed time. Looking for suggestions as to what drives I should replace them with, Keep in mind this is my main desktop system used for RIP and design. I have one SSD 256gb Vertex that I will use but would like to replace the other 2 standard drives I have in the system. Any help is appreciated.

Running

Intel I5
16gb Corsair Ram
ASUS MB with 6gb Sata ports

rcook99

Hey Casey, My thought is I will use my SSD 256gb for Windows 7, Photoshop, Corel and SL and store everything else on my backup drives. My current setup is 2 WD640gb drives. The Vertex SSD is brand new and not installed yet. I figure 2TB or so is plenty considering I have not filled up my 640gb in 3 years. Its at about 75% right now.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Definitely go with an SSD for your Main Windows and applications drive. Your computer will seem 50 times faster. If you can afford it, SSD for storage too..... but gets pricey once approaching the 1TB area.

rcook99

I would go with a 2TB Western Digital Black drive: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Cache-Desktop-WD2003FZEX/dp/B00FJRS628.

If you want the backup drives external, I like: http://www.amazon.com/Icy-Dock-MB08...=UTF8&qid=1421850703&sr=1-8&keywords=icy+dock

External backup is good so that you can switch them out and take one offsite in case of fire, flood, or theft. I like the cooling of that particular model of enclosure.

Casey, thanks for the help. I just ordered 2 of them from Newegg. They offered free shipping and included 2 18" 6gbSATA cables. :rock-n-roll::thumb::thankyou: