• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Member in Northern Ca, gearing up.

JBV

Hello all,
After thinking about it for far too long, I am finally taking the plunge into starting my own small graphics company. I have been working as a freelance designer for the last few years, and worked in a small sign shop in Colorado before that. Ever since leaving the sign shop, I have missed having access to a plotter for several reasons.

Seems that everywhere I go, I encounter potential projects that call for some type of lettering.
I enjoy working with wood, and I want the ability to cut sand-blast masks. That means I need downforce and thick media capability.
I do a lot of hand designed, hand-cut stencil work. I am tired of hand-cutting stencils that only last for 5-10 applications, and not being able to easily create an exact replacement. They can be designed as vectors, so cutting them with a plotter is sort of a no-brainer.
I have access to a friend's screen-print shop where I can have high-quality, heavy-duty, full color, silk-screened prints made for near cost if I do the cutting myself. He has also expressed interest in contracting certain cutting jobs once I am set up - would require optical registration capability for contour cutting. Some of the media he prints onto are very thick, like the reflective destructible vinyl, again requiring downforce and thick media capability.
I know at my old shop we did a fair amount of temporary promotional signs for new construction on 4x8 MDO. I think (and this is a point of hesitation) that I would like the ability to cut a full size 4x8 single-color design in one pass using a 48" roll.

I am not trying to get into wide-format printing at the moment, although I have considered picking up a used gerber edge for id-tag and bar-code runs.

My experience is with an older Ioline smartrac i/s130, which was able to handle nice thick sandblast media, and could cut a 48" roll of vinyl edge to edge. It was a slow machine, older, and certainly had limitations, but it WORKED all day every day. They do not seem to make anything that wide anymore, so I am looking at the Graphtec lines of plotters, which seem to be my best bet in terms of the features and power that I want... although reading the forums about Graphtec vs. Roland vs. Summa feels like reading a chevy/ford/dodge debate on a truck forum: if you have one, you tend to defend it, and if you have all three, you love/hate facets of each.

I feel like the ce6000-120 is a good choice for my wants/needs, except in terms of thick sandblast and reflective media, although it looks like it could do some amount of that with a red-top blade holder and a 1.5 60* blade
The 8600 series has a much higher media-thickness rating and downforce, and seems to be built quite solid. I think I could get away with the 42"-wide version (8600-100), as it will fit a 48" roll. Am i right about that? Is there anyone using an 8600-100 for 4x8 banner or mdo that wishes they had gotten the 54" version? Anyone with a 8600-130 who feels like they went too big? Anyone want to tell me that I should just save the $ and get a 30" plotter and take the time to layout and line up multi-section designs?

Thanks for reading, it is helpful even to just lay out these questions in writing.
-jbv

LeLuni

If you feel that your primary money-making product will be in thicker media, then I think you'll want to get a Summa T-series cutter. The 'T' stands for tangental, so the head rotates with the direction of the cut.
Unfortunately, they don't come up often on ebay or craigslist, but you can expect to pay from $2-3k if you can find an old one. The Summa's typically hold up very well over the years, and the technology has been around a long time, so don't hesitate to start out with a 15-year old machine.
Best of luck to you.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If you feel that your primary money-making product will be in thicker media, then I think you'll want to get a Summa T-series cutter. The 'T' stands for tangental, so the head rotates with the direction of the cut.
Unfortunately, they don't come up often on ebay or craigslist, but you can expect to pay from $2-3k if you can find an old one. The Summa's typically hold up very well over the years, and the technology has been around a long time, so don't hesitate to start out with a 15-year old machine.
Best of luck to you.

I agree with Leluni, the Summa "T" series will cut the thick stuff like butter, and they are very well built.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would think if you want to cut sandblast materiel and other thick type stuff, you might want to consider a sprocket fed plotter/cutter. They will never let you down as far a slippage, skewing or doubling back, unless you have a faulty file.

Billct2

Since you mentioned getting an Edge a gerber plotter would make sense. Even an old Super Sprint.

JBV

If you feel that your primary money-making product will be in thicker media, then I think you'll want to get a Summa T-series cutter (...) don't hesitate to start out with a 15-year old machine.
Best of luck to you.

I agree with Leluni, the Summa "T" series will cut the thick stuff like butter, and they are very well built.

Thank you for the responses!

LeLuni and Rick. A new summa T is out of my budget range for the time being. If I can find a used one in the 2-3k range that is close enough to inspect, test, and buy in person, I would certainly consider it, but I have not yet seen one in my searches.

I should clarify that while there is a certain amount of cross-over, I am not trying to start a full-fledged sign shop, but rather support and expand my current freelance art and design services and activities into a more well-rounded, capable, and accessible entity.

I do not anticipate rubber sandblast resist to be my main media, but I do want to be able to cut it. I do anticipate low-volume 20mil heavy screen-printed vinyl. In terms of production time, double cutting or multiple passes would be fine. My other intended media are stand-alone and adhesive multi-layer spray stencil, standard 6mil vinyl (intermediate cal and performance cast), and various heat-transfer materials. Also will be pouncing for 4x8 mural sections (no longer have access to the huge old-school electrified-mesh pounce wall). The smaller that i can cleanly cut stencil-style fonts, the better.

Billct2, Gino, the Gerber setup that I was looking at has sold. It was an edge1 bundled with the corresponding-year plotter, computer/software, and a pile of materials/consumables. It was set up, running, and located within driving distance. I would have been able to use it as a stand-alone station, something that small would not serve all of my plotting needs. If I do see something like it come up again I may be interested in checking it out.

LeLuni

Thank you for the responses!

LeLuni and Rick. A new summa T is out of my budget range for the time being. If I can find a used one in the 2-3k range that is close enough to inspect, test, and buy in person, I would certainly consider it, but I have not yet seen one in my searches.

Don't rule out calling Summa to see if they have any leads on older, used T-series cutters, scouring government auction sites, or calling local sign shops that may have been thinking about updating their equipment (but didn't really know it until you called).

I bought a 15-year old, 54" T from a government auction site for $600. It doesn't have opos, but I can still buy the kit from Summa and add it myself for $750. You do need to be patient while looking, though.

Best of luck.

JBV

Don't rule out calling Summa to see if they have any leads on older, used T-series cutters, scouring government auction sites, or calling local sign shops that may have been thinking about updating their equipment (but didn't really know it until you called).

I bought a 15-year old, 54" T from a government auction site for $600. It doesn't have opos, but I can still buy the kit from Summa and add it myself for $750. You do need to be patient while looking, though.

Best of luck.

Great suggestions, thanks! Had not even thought about the government auction sites, but now that you mention it, I do remember seeing massive sections of office and production equipment the last time I went to one of the on-site auctions. I think there is one of those on-site auction places near Sacramento.
I am trying to be patient, but also know that a great deal may appear at any time on my craigslist/ebay/forums feeds, and I need to ready for it if it comes along. In this initial planning/research/development phase I am budgeting tightly around new equipment, so that finding any used equipment would put me under budget and give me more flexibility, instead of planning to find used equipment and then not coming across anything satisfactory.

JBV

I have registered to attend the ISA Expo 2015. Hopefully any remaining questions that I have can be answered there.

JBV

Well, ISA Expo was very informative, I'm glad I attended. Came home with a pile of freebies, promo goods, color-sample books, and an FC8600-100 in the back of the truck.
I no longer miss the old Ioline.