• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New print head printing fine lines next to artwork

rialine

Hey Guys,

I replaced my print head (MIMAKI CJV30-100) the printing is super good quality now, only problem is it prints a fine line to the left and right on the edge of the media (see photos) these lines ar NOT teh check pattern, I did go and look and it is disabled. I even put on 'ON' and then I get a normal test pattern that prints next to the media that is thicker and looks like a proper test pattern. So this wouldnt bother me, but then I noticed that when my artwork is not edge to edge printed, so example has a clear background and a clear cut line, then this weirs thin line actually prints INSIDE my actual artwork and inside the cut line. if im printing something solidt and rond, the weird lines go all around the edge of the round design? has anyone had this problem and how do I fix it?
Like I said, just relaced my old head with a brand new one and it started doing this on its own. The only settings i touched when I installed the new head was I typed in the new print head ID. I didnt change any other settings.
at first I thought the head was sitting lower then the old one, and maybe dipping or touching the media at the ends, but its definatly not that either I did check.
Test pattern is 100% clear, and prints look beautiful except for this problem.
So right now when im printing something with a clear or background I have to put a very very light grey outline or it prints inside my artwork
if you look at the one image where I have the actual test pattern on, the fine lines print next to it still.
Please help!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-10-11 at 10.04.06_52fd3801.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-11 at 10.04.06_52fd3801.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 75
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-11 at 10.02.43_a1888649.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-11 at 10.02.43_a1888649.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 54
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-11 at 10.00.13_6ce00541.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-11 at 10.00.13_6ce00541.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 49
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-10-11 at 10.00.14_0b953969.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-10-11 at 10.00.14_0b953969.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 50

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Nice clean lines like that indicate it's firing at weird times. Double check cables to see if they are well seated in their connectors and there's no trace of ink at the electrical contacts. Had an Epson P5000 that had what I thought was a negligible droplet of ink on one of the head cables doing that. Cleaned it on a whim and fixed it right up.

rialine

Hi, ok that might actually be it. when I installed the new print head, it wouldn't work at first (with new calble) so I put the old cable back in and then it worked. So there is a chance that the old cable might have ink somewhere because changing the head was messy. I didnt bohter to be carefull as I was planning on putting a new cable. If I open it up and find that it is dirty, what can I use to wipe the ends of the cable clean?

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Can wipe the contacts clean with a swab and some solvent ink cleaner if you avoid the stuff plastic tab. Don't want that coming unglued. Also look for bent or mangled pins.

rialine

Thanks so much, we had a power failure on Friday (regular occurrence here in SA) so my printer was off and completely removed from all power source for 48 hours, switched it on this morning, and the side lines gone. So its printing 100% now. Should the lines return Ill take it apart and wipe the cable, I was so dreading that because the cover just just blocks my hands form getting in there to change the cable and I did not feel like taking it all off again. (so sometimes removing it from power really is the answer)

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm going to guess the IT departments over there are masters of procrastination. If they can put off a ticket until the next power failure, it'll resolve itself in the morning.