• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to CNC - what are some bits/cutters?

boldmarksigns

I just purchased the Elite Foreman OneFinity and this is my first CNC. Used one in the 90s but havent done signs since, until recently getting back into it. Looking to do a variety of signs and start learning. Any kits out there for bits/cutters and or brands to use rather than buy crap ones from amazon that last a week. I would rather spend more upfront if it will last longer and provide cleaner and more precise cuts later.

Thanks

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I like LMT Onsrud bits. https://www.onsrud.com/articles/Router-Bits-for-the-Sign-Industry.asp

Sharbits have some cool kits, but they're definitely not cheap. We bought this one a while back: https://openbuildspartstore.com/3d-sign-maker-deluxe-7-pc-cnc-bit-kit-v1/

We also use a couple of bits from this Chinese company: https://www.china-oyea.com/index.php?classid=413
500-9851 Routing bit D3/3-L60/20 1FL UC
500-9858 Routing bit D6/6-L58/22 1FL UC
Mainly use those for PVC and the odd wood project. They dull quickly but they're dirt cheap/disposable.

What materials will you be cutting?

It can definitely get a bit overwhelming when you're first starting out and trying to find the right bits for a whole bunch of different materials.

I'd suggest finding a good distributor that is knowledgeable and just tell them you want to cut X/Y/Z material and see what they recommend. Buy one of each of a few different bits, test them out, then make sure to document feeds/speeds and keep those common bits in stock.

boldmarksigns

Thanks for the reply,

MDO, acrylic, other soft stuff. Nothing too crazy at the start, normal sign templates and designs. Build my skills over time to the more advanced cuts.

johnnysigns

I'm also a fan of the Onsrud tooling. I find they last the longest compared to Amana tools w/ or without the Amana coatings. Onsrud's also get a customer support tech team you can call and get recommendations on the proper tooling for a given material and feeds/speeds to try out if you're unfamiliar with what you're cutting.

Vassago

Definitely buy some cheap bits while you're getting used to things.. Even cheap Chinese bits are good these days.. Stay away from carbide to start with as they are more fragile.

Get used to setting speeds and feeds.. The different types of cutters needed - single flute tend to be quite useful.

There can be quite a sharp learning curve as you can be too cautious which causes it's own problems.

There are a few speed/feed calculators out there which can help.

netsol

i found the easiest thing was to look at what garrett fromme from idc woodcraft has
he was a machinist (and a department head in charge of MANY machinists) until retirement and was astounded that NO ONE had a "one click" starter set of cnc bits

it has grown into quite a business. he has a large series of "how to " videos that are worth watching

John Miller

Tools today has a great selection of bits. I'm in CT. If I order in the afternoon, my order arrives the next day with no shipping cost. Fair prices.