• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New to wrapping - couple of q's

TopFliteGraphics

I have a client that wants a leased van wrapped. Which material will be a "cleaner" removal in a couple of years? Oracal 3651 or 3M IJ-180C?

Also, they had someone else design the wrap and sent me the mockups. It looks to me as if they just over laid the design on the pics of the van and are thinking that the material on which the design is printed is clear. How should I advise them about the background color?

Lastly, How much time do you think it will take a NOOB like me to install this? I've done tons of vehicle graphics and vinyl graphics on signs but only done a few partial wraps on the sides of cargo vans.

Attachments

• Van wrap Back Complete.jpg
    Van wrap Back Complete.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Van wrap Front Complete Email.jpg
    Van wrap Front Complete Email.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Van wrap Left Side Complete.jpg
    Van wrap Left Side Complete.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Van wrap Ride Side Complete.jpg
    Van wrap Ride Side Complete.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 62

J Hill Designs

dont do wraps, but looking at it I would print/cut the lawn only (partial wrap) and overlay solid vinyl for lettering, and the printed flag logo separately

Stuckup

As a Avery guy, Go with the 3M, it is a great product, Easier to install than the more aggressive Glue of Oracal, but whatever you choose, follow manufacturers recommendations fully. as far as how long you should take, take as long as you need, good luck.

TopFliteGraphics

Good ol' designers that never actually touch vehicles...

I'm not sure if it was a typo, but I would NOT recommend 3651 for this job...3951RA maybe but probably not if it's your first time. IJ-180 should be more user friendly.

As for the shape cut issue.... it would be do-able if you ran it through your plotter but I would try printing a loose contour around the grass to come close to the paint color so it doesn't look TOO obvious altough you won't be able to match it.
Excellent - thanks!

TopFliteGraphics

As a Avery guy, Go with the 3M, it is a great product, Easier to install than the more aggressive Glue of Oracal, but whatever you choose, follow manufacturers recommendations fully. as far as how long you should take, take as long as you need, good luck.
Excellent - thanks for the advice

HulkSmash

Looks like you might have issues with this wrap. They way they have this designed.. the whole wrap will have to be dicut. There's no need to layer like mentioned above, you can do it in 1 piece... the issue comes when you install - you're going to have to install the bumpers, and sides with completely masked vinyl.

Stuckup

Looks like you might have issues with this wrap. They way they have this designed.. the whole wrap will have to be dicut. There's no need to layer like mentioned above, you can do it in 1 piece... the issue comes when you install - you're going to have to install the bumpers, and sides with completely masked vinyl.

100% agree, mask = wrap pain. Wraps on clear = Pain too, but we use off cuts of backing paper to grip the vinyl glue side if you do go that way. Fingerprints in the clear really suk.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
tell them it has to be redesigned, not too many people would attempt this and have it work, so you shouldn't have to worry about losing the job.

4R Graphics

Tell them you need to redesign it and explain why. If they shoot you down either attempt it but be ready for hassles or turn the job down there will be another one soon.