• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New York changes street signs

David Wright

I hope this is the appropriate forum but it is about signs.
New York city is changing all street signs from all upper case to upper/lower.
Why, easier to read. Cost: 27.5 million.

What a joke, caps are hard to read in sentence format but for one or two words imparting street information? This is ridiculous and really not surprising coming from these people.

Laying out upper and lower on a small space like that will make for off center copy on some because of descenders. I have to notify my town now.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...treet_sign_leading_ny_to_say__it_is_just.html

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
Brookhaven Town (on Long Island) also started doing this about 6-8 months ago. Personally I really don't like it (especially as a Firefighter). While I know the location of every street in my own town - it is much more difficult to read when trying to find someplace I am not exactly familiar with in a neighboring district - especially at 3AM!!!

ALL CAPS is much better in my opinion

SignosaurusRex

Brookhaven Town (on Long Island) also started doing this about 6-8 months ago. Personally I really don't like it (especially as a Firefighter). While I know the location of every street in my own town - it is much more difficult to read when trying to find someplace I am not exactly familiar with in a neighboring district - especially at 3AM!!!

ALL CAPS is much better in my opinion

Not to worry. They'll complete the project within the next few years and then decide it was a mistake (except for the job security it created for the engineering dept).....then they'll spend another 31 million changing them back.:banghead:

Marlene

they have changed some of the interstate signs and road sign here to upper/lower case. they are much easier to read from a distance. all upper case have all the same shapes pretty much so you have to get near enough to see the acutal letters. NORTH TROY compared to North Troy. sit back far enough from the 'puter and compare them.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Heard about this on the radio this morning. People are pissed.
The city has about 250,000 signs, and it costs about $110 to replace one.

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
NICE - $27 million sign job - too bad it goes to city employees instead of private shops. Taxes will be going up in NYC and none of it goes to small business!!!

(BIG SURPRISE)

CentralSigns

What a new mayor with a buddy in the sign business? Most politicians I've seen are corrupt that way. That will pad a big pocket. You wouldn't believe the stories I have, maybe I should write a book some day. Some are soo far out there, you'd think they were conspiracy theories. Oops I hope they aren't spying. Better hide.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. . . . . . . . . . .