• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie to printing question...

Hey everyone, I am a newbie to printing but not a newbie to signmaking.
I decided to buy a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 62" used to try and break myself into the digital printing part of the biz. It should be here in a day or two and I am excited about getting it.
However, I have a question. Can it run on just CMYK or does it need to run on all 6 colors? I am asking this question because I know that at first I will go through a bunch of ink just playing around with the printer and getting it set up and ready to go so I figure why waste ink if I don't need to.
Anyway, this is the first of probably a whole bunch of questions I will most likely have with this printer...
Thanks for your help!

DRPSignsNGrafix

U need to run all 6 inks or you will dry up the lines and take out the pump. Lc and Lm are the colors that you use the least of. So don't worry about wasting ink.

Welcome from NY

Compilla

Hey everyone, I am a newbie to printing but not a newbie to signmaking.
I decided to buy a Mutoh Falcon Outdoor 62" used to try and break myself into the digital printing part of the biz. It should be here in a day or two and I am excited about getting it.
However, I have a question. Can it run on just CMYK or does it need to run on all 6 colors? I am asking this question because I know that at first I will go through a bunch of ink just playing around with the printer and getting it set up and ready to go so I figure why waste ink if I don't need to.
Anyway, this is the first of probably a whole bunch of questions I will most likely have with this printer...
Thanks for your help!

Hey Welcome to the Mutoh fan club!

OK printer, needs a lot of baby sitting ...

I kind of figured that. Thanks for the warm welcome and info guys! I'm sure I will have more questions as I go along.
A lot of babysitting huh? I do enough babysitting with my 11 month old twins! Sheesh...lol
I'm up for the challenge.
I have been doing cut vinyl and hand lettering up till now but I figure its time to get into the printing part of the business. I figured I would go used for my first printer and I picked this one up for a good deal. If all goes well I will buy a new one in due time. Just wanted to get my feet wet first.

PromoGuyTy

clean...and nozzle check...every day!

not sure if it's necessary...but we do a cleaning and a nozzle check every single day on our mutoh 62

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome.
Don't be afraid of using ink up. It will be more expensive to replace parts if it is not used enough to keep things from drying out. Line up some jobs that you can start printing before you get the machine even if you have to do some stuff in hopes of selling it. You could also plan some advertising to show what your new capabilities are.

Has the used printer been properly stored with the heads cleaned out with clear solvent?

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate it and please keep it coming.
The printer from what I understand has been stored with the heads cleaned out and it is supposedly in working order with no problems. I guess I will see when it gets here. Should be arriving either Wed or Thurs this week. I do already have a few jobs lined up for it once I get it in the shop and test it out. I'm excited and nervous at the same time about getting it...
So, should I run a cleaning before I try to print with it? What would my best bet be as far as starting this thing up and getting it going once I get it?