• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Newbie to sand blasting

The c cobbler

Hi im new to all this stuff and ive just bought a sand blaster, and basically i need to know what i need to make stencils etc im going to be making slate signs so i need to know the best vinyl cutter and the best stencil paper any help would be much appreciated

rjssigns

You've bitten off a rather large chunk of "stuff" as you put it.

How big is your blast pot? Can your air compressor supply 100cfm? Do you have an approved positive pressure hood/mask? What about your other PPE? Do you have a source for "stone blast" media? What are the regulations in your town county regarding your new venture? Do you have the requisite permits? Are you zoned for this operation?

I won't even get into the computer/software/design end of it.

Mosh

++What compressor do you have? It may work for awhile, but it will burn up if you run it too long. Home use compessors will not handle the constant air reqiure to blast. Even the cheaper commercial ones won't hold up to constant use. A 100 lbs pot blaster from tips is what I have, I started with a siphin one, didn't cut well.

Stencil paper? Do you mean blasting mask? ++anchor. Cuts best on a tang type plotter, drag knife ones like roland don't work as well because of the thick mask.

Do you have an air supply helmet? Proper protective gear? A seperate compressor for those?

An area large enough to do the blasting, or a cabinet?

Not trying to be a buzz-kill, just warning you to what lies ahead...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
We've been doing monument and engraved stonework for eight years (http://www.jarsa.net).

I cut my teeth here: http://www.cuttingedgesandcarving.com We literally started our business after learning from the forum and spending hours on the telephone with other shop owners. It's been a fun and interesting trade, and profitable as well.

Sign up for Chuck's forum and browse around. There's more information than you'll be able to comprehend in a year....or perhaps, two.

JB

Last edited: