• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

newbie with a tricky job

mr.hyde

Hey...just a new guy here with a quick question.

I have a unique job. My client wants me to print on aluminum (hp 35500 flatbed). I'm ok with that...this is where it gets tricky.

They want me to print photographic images that are as neutral grayscale as possible but with a red PMS 187 text headline.

With this being a CMYK file the photos are obviously taking on a colored cast. I know I can reduce the primary colors in onyx postershop to counteract that but obviously that effects the pms red headline.

Basically, is there a way ( a specific file type ai, eps, tiff etc) where I can control both the neutral grayscale background image and the pms red 187 headline in postershop ???

Thanks again.

Malkin

we ran a job like that once (printing on vinyl/roland vp540) where we made 2 separate files. One was black ink only so it was perfectly neutral, and the second had the color. Just returned to origin and ran the 2nd file.

I'm sure there is a better way though.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Welcome aboard from California, someone in here should be able to help out a bit. Good luck with the job!!

mr.hyde

Thanks gentlemen.

Malkin...I was thinking something similar where I set up the two files, run the background, then reload the sheet and run the headline. My starting point would have to be identical.

Border

not familiar with your setup but I think you should be able to program the printer/software before you start the job so that it returns to origin after it finishes the print. Then it will still be registered perfectly to make the second run.

MikePro

how about just printing a greyscale on clear, laminating the aluminum with it and applying your red headline afterwards with cut vinyl?

we did this with a recent project, where the client wanted a brushed aluminum finish with a watermark of the global continents:
thermal.PNG
100_2447.jpg
beyond me why i don't have pix of this sign at night, as the letters are push-thru plexi with trans.blue vinyl on the faces.... F'n sweeeeet when lit up!

Last edited:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Raster grayscale image background with vector red text headline on top.
Shouldn't be a problem if your rendering intents are set correct in the rip.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Not sure how well it works but if you have access to Flexi 8 or above's rip there is an option in the job properties window called "Object Color Control".
It allows you to remap the color space of of selected objects by their color values.
Seems like it would do exactly what you need.
The raster photo could be printed in grayscale color space and the vector text in cymk matched to your pms spec.

wayne k
guam usa