• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nicer-looking Wood or Metal A-frames?

Signstein

So, our local historic review board doesn't like vinyl/plastic, but my predecessor must have ignored this and so now I'm sitting on a surplus of signicades. They are the nicer looking ones with the snap-in retainers, but as we become more and more event-driven, I keep bumping up against the review board when I'm asked to produce temporary event signage. I also have some stanchions that I typically use for smaller wayfinding signs, but are there any other non-plastic temporary sign frame/holder/stanchion-type things that I could be using? Has anyone fabricated their own metal or wood a-frames? Any ideas on something that would look nicer in a historic setting, but also easily changed out and deployed?

a1.jpg
s2.jpg

Stacey K

I like making signs
For wood ones: If you are looking for ideas, check on Pinterest! (If you don't know what that is, ask a middle aged woman, she probably has it on her phone and can search this up for you in no time at all)

This is an in-demand item for weddings so I'm positive there's a TON of plans available on Pinterest. Also, check on Etsy, there could be someone who makes them in your area. I've seen them for sale on Amazon. Wood would be really cool and if there's a lot of them then they are easy enough to make a bunch at one time.

Billct2

The problem with a lot of those decorative ones is they aren't designed to hold up in the rain or wind.
But custom building isn't cheap and event hosts usually are. If they have the budget then building custom wood a frames is the best bet.
Or you could try finishing those existing ones so they don't look so plastic, some faux effects or texture paints with the snap frame painted black would dress them up.

JBurton

Signtologist
But custom building isn't cheap and event hosts usually are
Ding ding ding. We have a winner for the problem at hand.
Ya ought to be asking the local historic review board if they will be sponsoring small businesses that need these built, as they'll easily double the price when compared to the tried and true signicade.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
So, our local historic review board doesn't like vinyl/plastic, but my predecessor must have ignored this and so now I'm sitting on a surplus of signicades. They are the nicer looking ones with the snap-in retainers, but as we become more and more event-driven, I keep bumping up against the review board when I'm asked to produce temporary event signage. I also have some stanchions that I typically use for smaller wayfinding signs, but are there any other non-plastic temporary sign frame/holder/stanchion-type things that I could be using? Has anyone fabricated their own metal or wood a-frames? Any ideas on something that would look nicer in a historic setting, but also easily changed out and deployed?

View attachment 168530
Where do you get these?! They're a lot nicer than signicades?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Like Bill said, paint them
Get a wood grain roller and use two similar shades of brown I would suggest

Stacey K

I like making signs
Ask the board if one of them has the ability to make them. You might be surprised, most of the boards are retired men and men of that age, vs. 25 year old these days actually know how to build things. I have a couple churches that I show them what to build for their signs and banners and they build it. They enjoy saving money and they might have a good woodworker on hand.

Signstein

Painting them is a great idea. I may try that on one of them since I have so many. Budget isn't really a consideration here since there isn't an event company involved - it's for our own internal use. Obviously, it will be paid for out of some departments budget, but if we made a nice pair and just kept reusing them for each event then I'm sure I could get approval.