• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Nix Color Sensor - Warning!

VTSigns

I usually don't talk badly about a product but I just had to when I saw a banner ad on Signs101 for Nix Color Sensor. I was an original backer of their product when they first did Kick-starter. I received my sensor like most everyone else, extremely behind schedule from what they originally promised. I understand the delays and getting the sensor well further out than promised was not huge deal.

The biggest problem is that I have never to this point even been able to use this product. It's not that it doesn't work properly, it doesn't even function at all. I contacted Nix several times about the issues I was having and they were super slow to get back with me. They would only respond through email which made it very difficult to troubleshoot. The trail with support finally went cold and I never heard back from them after several emails. The device is a paper weight at this point. All I wanted was a product that would function, whether it be accurate or not I will never know.

I have seen mixed reviews about the sensor but I just had to voice my poor experience. I really like the idea and can see it being super helpful in my day to day work if the device would simply function. Beware that if you do have a problem, you may never have it resolved.

CanuckSigns

I usually don't talk badly about a product but I just had to when I saw a banner ad on Signs101 for Nix Color Sensor. I was an original backer of their product when they first did Kick-starter. I received my sensor like most everyone else, extremely behind schedule from what they originally promised. I understand the delays and getting the sensor well further out than promised was not huge deal.

The biggest problem is that I have never to this point even been able to use this product. It's not that it doesn't work properly, it doesn't even function at all. I contacted Nix several times about the issues I was having and they were super slow to get back with me. They would only respond through email which made it very difficult to troubleshoot. The trail with support finally went cold and I never heard back from them after several emails. The device is a paper weight at this point. All I wanted was a product that would function, whether it be accurate or not I will never know.

I have seen mixed reviews about the sensor but I just had to voice my poor experience. I really like the idea and can see it being super helpful in my day to day work if the device would simply function. Beware that if you do have a problem, you may never have it resolved.

That sucks! I was considering ordering one, but it doesn't look like it helps in any way with colour management, you can't use it to make printer profiles.

The company is based about 5 minutes from my shop, If you want to PM me I can see if I can find a phone # for you.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm sorry to hear about your early adoption issues... This is why I only browse kickstarter for future products and let others work out the bugs.

I've watched NIX since 2013 and I felt it was time to buy now. Watson, this is not a device for profiling, this device is intended to replace pantone books and be more powerful. You can literally scan anything that isn't backlit and it will give you a close approximation of color for your color matching needs.
This can be a life saver if you ever need to print match a cut vinyl, or try to figure out what color a 5 year old vinyl is. It's also great for color matching paints, nature, etc. It's just another handy tool to use to increase your value and simplify your process.

bigben

I was on the original kickstarter campaign with the nix. I've got the first generation and since I was running it with an android phone it took several weeks before the app was up. I wan't impressed with the product and put it on the side.

Then I've got an email that they were coming out with a new version. I've sent them an email and complain that the first model was not working very well. They sent me the new model for free few weeks later. Now this one is working fine. Don't get me wrong, it's not 100% accurate and you don't have the pantone book in the app. But it's a good working tool. I usually take it to read the cmyk value, then I double check it with my pantone swatch. It's about 90% correct and saved me lot of time. You can send the reading by email so the designer can work on the model right away. You can also compared the scan with the cmyk value side by side and know the variance of color. I don't use it everyday, but I always carry it in my survey and meetings. For the price, it's a really good products.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Nix Sensor recently became a Merchant Member here and also is running a banner ad. I would recommend that you either contact them by phone at the numbers shown on their website Contact Us page, or use the Signs 101 private message feature to contact them here using their profile page. I think you may find that they are willing to exchange your old sensor for a new one.

nixsensor

Hi!, It's Matt here from Nix, sorry to hear about your experience. This was from our Kickstarter days where it was literally just me in a garage, luckily this is the purpose of Kickstarter and it really helped us get off the ground and to get our first product to market. We've learned a lot from the experience and released a completely new product, the Nix Pro Color Sensor last year. This version is now in 30+ different countries and has won countless awards for it's innovation and accuracy.

Please feel free to PM me or contact anyone at the team here in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, 9am to 5pm EST at +1.905.581.6363 (Other contact methods are available directly on our home page, www.nixsensor.com)

I've messaged a few other signs101 members who supported the Kickstarter campaign and sent them a Pro unit free of charge in thanks for their support. Let me know if you'd like one as well. We can get you up and running quickly.

The goal for me here is to learn from the community and really build something that will be of great value to you guys/gals. I'm open to any and all feedback that will point us in that direction.

Anyways, I'm a bit under the weather right now so hopefully that made sense :) I'll be checking my PMs over the weekend.

Cheers,

Matt Sheridan - CEO, Nix Sensor Ltd.

TDFcustomSL

Hi!, It's Matt here from Nix, sorry to hear about your experience. This was from our Kickstarter days where it was literally just me in a garage, luckily this is the purpose of Kickstarter and it really helped us get off the ground and to get our first product to market. We've learned a lot from the experience and released a completely new product, the Nix Pro Color Sensor last year. This version is now in 30+ different countries and has won countless awards for it's innovation and accuracy.

Please feel free to PM me or contact anyone at the team here in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, 9am to 5pm EST at +1.905.581.6363 (Other contact methods are available directly on our home page, www.nixsensor.com)

I've messaged a few other signs101 members who supported the Kickstarter campaign and sent them a Pro unit free of charge in thanks for their support. Let me know if you'd like one as well. We can get you up and running quickly.

The goal for me here is to learn from the community and really build something that will be of great value to you guys/gals. I'm open to any and all feedback that will point us in that direction.

Anyways, I'm a bit under the weather right now so hopefully that made sense :) I'll be checking my PMs over the weekend.

Cheers,

Matt Sheridan - CEO, Nix Sensor Ltd.

Guess I should have waited to order my Pro Unit when the original became obsolete with the app update. I actually had to pay for my new sensor :banghead: Although I did get a discounted price I don't feel like being an original backer and having that product become obsolete and unusable, that it was quite fair that I had to purchase another sensor.

VTSigns

Just wanted to post an update. I got in contact with Matt at Nix and he took my shipping address and overnighted me out a new sensor at no cost. He was very helpful in getting the situation resolved promptly. I'm going to test the sensor out and hopefully it works well. Thanks so much Matt!