• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

No 64 Bit CS4 for Mac !

SignBurst PCs

Just got confirmation from the developers themselves. There will be no 64 Bit version of Photoshop CS4 for Mac at launch (or even at all). Macs may have to wait for the next version of Creative Suite.

There will be a 64 Bit version for PC. So those of us with 64 Bit Windows can use more than the 3GB of RAM that we are currently limited to (and Mac will still be limited to).

Photoshop runs extremely fast on our systems now. I am excited to see how Photoshop CS4 will run on an 8, 16, or 32GB system.

Adobe has stated some technical answer to why there is no Mac version of 64 Bit, but after reading several articles, it seems to me that there is some problem with Apple and the software lauguage they use (Carbon vs Cocoa).

It is funny. I can imagine how many Macs there are out there with the sole purpose of PS design. And soon they will be at a HUGE disadvantage.

Last edited:

zoiko

Yes......BUt i'm willing to bet, that apple has something planned.... remember that apple has bought some good companies. I have a good friend that works for apple and he said be ready ....I shall wait and see.

Ken

So, to put 32 gigs of RAM onto a motherboard...how is that done?
Are there 4 slots that accept 8 GB memory modules? I have no idea..enlighten me ..please.
Thanks...Ken

iSign

Yes......BUt i'm willing to bet, that apple has something planned.... remember that apple has bought some good companies. I have a good friend that works for apple and he said be ready ....I shall wait and see.

what kind of "plan" do you have in mind.. new photo editing software? Photoshop rules, and if Apple wants to try to give Adobe a run for their money... good luck :rolleyes:

D

DARLAK

for the record, i really have nothing against mac, its the mac users i tend not to like....

too snooty....

GARY CULY

Darlak...thats right where im at ..i dont understand the whole mac and pc differences ..im told that a programs made for a pc wont run on a mac because they wont "talk" to each other ..im sure its way heavy stuff but basiccally they wont communicate .....its the people that have them..
when i talk to a mac cat ..why they just seem to talk down to me .."oh you have a pc ..I RUN A MAC! ..HMMM well since IM stupid for having pc .how come your mac wont run these rip programs and this printer? just what does a mac do? i just see a screen [like i have] a keyboard ,mouse[ like i have] everything sittin there bout like i have.....what IS so good about a mac anyways? i mean what does a MAC do i cant do right here on my pc that makes it so superior? hell i wanna know

the kid next door has a mac of som kind ,have no idea what model or nuthin ,but i tell you when hes on the internet ,it goes to the place he clicks on so fast it gets there before he lets off the key! i was pretty blowed away with that! BIG WOW for sure

Last edited:

WRAPS

mac people

now that you say that darlak,it makes sence to me too ,thats what i have against the whole mac thing the uppyty people.
as for kens question you'll need a better motherboard.like a server board it'll take 2 processors,8 or 16 slots for ram,2 or 4 video cards.we almost made one here but was told adobe wont run on 64 bit o.s. then i see this WRAP DADDY claiming to run adobe fine with 64 bit o.s.

WRAPS

hollywood

HOLLYWOOD,FLORIDA=JUST BETWEEN MIAMI AND FT. LAUDERDALE.IT'S WHERE THE MOVIE STARS COME TO PLAY AND ALL MY WRAPS ARE MADE.:thumb:

SignBurst PCs

It took us a while to get the Adobe thing figured out on The Wrap Daddy. But I assure you, we have it figured out.

The 32GB of RAM is a function of a server-based board, that is correct.

Even though DDR2 is a bit faster than FB-RAM, you are generally limited to 8GB or RAM on a DDR2 (desktop) board. I will accept a small loss in "performance per GB" of RAM for the ability to run upto 32GB of RAM (and soon 64GB).

WRAPS

So You Guys Made The Wrap Daddy For Fellers?

SO TELL ME IF YOU WILL......ABOUT THE ISSUES WITH CS3 AND XP 64 AS I RELLY REALLY WANT TO GIVE IT A GO.
IM WORKING ON A XFX 680 sli MOBO
Q 6600 PROCESSOR
NVIDIA VIDEO CARD 8600 GTX (I THINK)
4 GB OCZ DDR2 RAM (ONLY ABLE TO USE 3GB)
XP PRO 32 BIT
SO AS YOU KNOW IM SURE I CAN GO TO 8 GB WITH MOBO AND PROCESSOR WAS MADE FOR 64 BIT APP.BUT WILL MY CS3 ALLOW ME TO USE THE EXTRA RAM?WHAT DID YOU NEED TO DO TO HELP THIS ISSUE?
ANY AND ALL INFO IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANK YOU, WRAPS.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Interesting, I just read some articles, seems like Photoshop CS4 will only be supported on Vista. Articles do not say if it works in XP, it just says Vista support. That is a big blow if you are designing wraps in a Mac or if you do a lot of Photoshop work...I guess if you you are on a Mac, you get a PC Photoshop and run Vista through Parallels.

bjones

With CS4 on the mac, all you really have to do is enable a couple plugins so you can use as much ram as you have as scratchdisk to speed things up.. The whole 64 bit vs 32 bit thing is overblown to say the least.

WRAPS

Ram And Scratchdisk Not The Same Thing

The Only Thing That Lures Me To 64 Bit Is The Ability To Use Up As Much Ram As I Can.as Ram Is The Only Resource That I"m Ever Lacking.i've Got Tons Of Scratchdisk Space,my Processor Never Moves Past 25%,but My Ram I've Gobbled Up My 3 Gb Many Many Times.and Everytime I'm Waiting For Something I Check And Its The Ram Thats Bottlenecking.so If Running Xp 64 Is What I Need To Almost Triple My Ram I'm In.
But At The Same Time I Cant Have Compatibility Issues With Adobe.

bjones

Scratchdisk in RAM is the difference.. You gain speed by having say, 5 gb dedicated to a ram scratch so you see a marked speed increase over using hard drive space for scratchdisk. You can address as much ram as you have as scratchdisk even though the app itself is limited to 3gb.

TresL

WRAPS: I just built a new system with 8GB of ram & XPx64 runs great.

But, IL CS3 on XPx64 has some bugs when importing PS files.

There is an easy work around for Vista x64, but not XP x64.

Also when you go 64bit plan upgrading some other software as well if it's very old.

I had to upgrade firewall & anti-virus software.

Most 32bit software will run "OK", but if it has a 16 bit installer you will have issues.

Running some of the heavy hitter plugins is a HUGE plus on my new system!!!!!

synergy_jim

here's a solution....

wait til cs5....

adobe never does any seriously ground breaking stuff any more anyways...

besides.... I can work on wraps at full size on my mac pro and it flys now anyways...

zoiko

I did not mean to come at you guys as a MAC snob....i use both, I enjoy both....but i i can't rely on the pc. Like i said i know people who work at apple my son is starting his job at the san diego apple store in june. And they tease me because i use a PC.....So i tell them that i use it to run somethings that i need. So i was told that Apple is working on something (with adobe) to come out with cs5/OR a new name involving their touch screen. And it may even involve a RIP for all us screenprinters....I personaly think they will buy inkscape...play with it a little bit and see what happens , my son is testing a beta version of one program right now and it is real cool....So yea most MAC users are snotty but not all. Just like a lot of people are smart and build their own PC'S and most repair them, Does not mean that the ones that must get them worked on are stupid.....