• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Not ready for the deep end,just the kiddie pool for now.

nutcase

Thanks for the reception in the new member side.This forum has it goin'on for sure.My last girl is leaving the the nest and I have a little room to expand a small sticker biz.I want to start making die-cuts.I bought a Roland CM-24 and SignLab software.The cutter is not set up yet.I am just playing with the software importing basic text images.That's all I can do at this point.For now that is all I want to do.I have no working knowledge of the software.This one or any other one for that matter.Here's the first of many questions...I need a crash course in basic importing,manipulating,etc of basic stuff.Grade school level you know.Adult ed does not touch this.local college has a course but not cheap and probally not want I need for the money.Book stores have nothing in SignLab or Coral.Did I overshoot the software,should I find something a little more grade school level, any suggestions.Thanks for your time..

Flame

The library should have plenty of books on CorelDraw.

I'd say get to know that program. Most graphics guru's know it, and there are literally THOUSANDS of tutorials for it on the web. Just google "CorelDraw Tutorials", and you'll find both free ones and complete packages for low prices.

Learn the ins and outs of vector graphics, start in Corel (which I believe to be one of the easier programs out there), and then once you get the hang of it, you should be able to move from program to program, fairly easily, as long as you have the basic knowledge of how stuff works.

Oh yeah, and WELCOME!

nutcase

Will I be able to fumble my through SignLab with coreldraw books?Would it be a better idea to buy coral software and use the SignLab stuff for the future.

Flame

Will I be able to fumble my through SignLab with coreldraw books?Would it be a better idea to buy coral software and use the SignLab stuff for the future.

I actually suggest dumping SignLab and sticking to Corel, but that's just me.

For SignLab tutorials.... good luck bro. Try googling it, but I'd say that's going to be quite a bit harder to figure out.

Ken

I'm primarily a Corel user myself. BUt learning other design programs is also necessary because some clients will send you files in other formats. The current version of Corel Draw is X3 (13) but I bet you can find an older version very cheap on ebay.
Dont forget the search feature on this website, where you can dig up older posts on some of your basic entry-level questions.
Cheers!
Ken

The quickest easiest book for Corel is:

Sams Teach Yourself CorelDRAW (version #) in 24 Hours (Paperback)

If you have a legitimate and registered version of SignLab, you can utilize their forum and videos at www.cadlink.com

There is a real difference between Corel and SignLab, although the basic controls are very similar. Take your time and learn them both. It will not come overnight, but it will be well worth it in the long run.

chopper

welcome nutcase like signage we need to know what version of signlab are you running?
signlab is what I use I find it very easy to run and use as stated there are lessons available on the signlab web site you can also get training disks from signlab but the best way to learn is to just play with it it isn't that tough to figure out as for corel it is a cheaper program not that that is a bad thing but from my experience it takes several more steps to get the same effect with corel that I can do in one step with signlab also with corel you will need to export it into a cutting program when you are done to cut it, with signlab that is not required also when you get into printing you can do that directly from signlab (depending on which version you have) and I can also run my plotter while I am printing from the same program//chopper

nutcase

Thanks for the insight.I found a Sam's Corel 8 used for 75 cents.Can't go wrong there.Will do the tutorial thing.I will return.You guy's have been great.Quick response!THANKS.[Oh the signlab I have is 7.1 but there are issue's that leans me toward Corel for now]