• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Notebooks/Ultrabooks/Convertible Tablets - what to stay away from, what to go for?

Custom_Grafx

It's laptop shopping time, and I'm stumped. There are notebooks, ultrabooks, convertible tablets etc. and the choice is overwhelming.

I'm looking for something portable and durable. I want to take it out with me every day. I don't want it to be too heavy, but it doesn't need to be as light as a feather. I don't want something slow, but I also don't need lightning fast speed. Yes, an SSD would be good, but I really don't care. GB's might be more important for me this time.

Cost isn't a huge factor - I just want something that won't break within a few months with every day travelling.

The first I came across in my search, was the Panasonic range of business semi rugged notebooks like the AX2 and the SX2... but feel that for the price they are a little underfeatured.

I then came across the Lenovo Yoga and the Sony Vaio duo 11, as well as the Lenovo Carbon X1.

The latest model which has my attention is the Lenovo X230 - it's strong, great keyboard, good display, and good battery life, and the price aint bad for what you get.

Does anyone have any advice regarding what to stay away from or what to go for when it comes to mobile tech for this industry? (ps, I won't be using this to RIP).

Thanks in advance!

WildWestDesigns

I like my Toshiba Qosmio, but it's more of a gaming laptop then a business class, but I use it as my mobile office/ production computer (it runs my embroidery machines, cutter and sublimation printers). It's going into it's 3rd year and still running like the day that I got it, but I also don't update it either. It does run my little cintiq (12"), but it is bulky at 18" and sporting a full keyboard, but boy it's ole faithful.

As far as business computers, I'm partial to the Lenova that my mom and sister have. I can't remember the model, but I will try to find out tomorrow or the next day.

choucove

At my business we sell exclusively HP ProBook and HP EliteBook laptops. We have researched a lot of laptops, and particularly came to the decision we would not sell ANY consumer line laptops ever. Simply put, they don't last. The number one most common computer we get in to our shop with problems is the Dell Inspiron laptop. Usually, these laptops experience some form of hardware failure within the first year or two.

Of the dozens and dozens of HP ProBooks and EliteBooks we have sold, I have not had a single one come back with any kind of problems. They are just bulletproof computers, incredibly well built and great support. I personally own an EliteBook for business, and my wife owns a ProBook as well. You can upgrade these machines very easily as well, and are ideal for productivity work including graphics design. If you get a standard consumer laptop, they're not going to be able to handle demanding design work if you need, like running Adobe CS6 software. This is where the EliteBooks and even the ProBooks offer greater performance and reliability for those kinds of tasks. One thing that really stuck out for me was when I went to the ISA sign convention a few years ago at Las Vegas, and most of the vendors there running cutters, printers, and every other piece of software and machinery in the sign industry were utilizing EliteBook laptops to do so.

I have also heard good things about the business line Lenovo laptops lately, but personally haven't used them just from my preference and experience with the HP business lines.

Custom_Grafx

Thanks guys.

ThinkRight - I like the look of that, but I'm looking for something that will run Corel/Ai, so am thinking I need at least an i5.

Choucove - I wasn't aware of the HP business line. My current laptop is an HP Pavillion, and has served me well for around 4 years, however the build quality, weight etc have stopped me from taking it out on the road too much - which is probably why it has survived this long. This had actually turned me off HPs - so I found the Lenovo ThinkPads and Panasonic business line very attractive. Today I revisited the shop, and saw the Elitebook. Apparenlty it's made right here in Japan, which should mean great service. The Panasonics are also made here by the way. I checked out the Lenovo x230 today up close, and I gotta say it's also a very attractive option for me.

WildWest - Thanks - I've been asking around and also hearing good things about Lenovo from others too.

It looks like it'll be one of the following... Panasonic/HP Elitebook/Thinkpad

Bly

Hey John,

I bought an Asus Zenbook a few months ago.
It's really light, powerful enough to run Photoshop etc.
The SD drive isn't massive so I take a portable HD.
No DVD drive either which generally doesn't matter.
Great to carry around.

jrsc

Look at a macbook air or pro retina even if you want to run windows instead of mac. I just read an article about a study that found a macbook to be the worlds most reliable windows pc.

http://bgr.com/2013/04/24/windows-pc-study-macbook-pro-463158/

I have an air and run both windows and mac and its the lightest, smallest, fastest, most durable, and most portable computer I have ever had. You can get a good deal in the apple refurbished store. Before you buy something go to an apple store and at least feel the hardware. I think they should have windows available for you to test also.

WildWestDesigns

Look at a macbook air or pro retina even if you want to run windows instead of mac. I just read an article about a study that found a macbook to be the worlds most reliable windows pc.

MacBook maybe, MacBook Air leaves a lot to be desired.

I do remember GG having a kernal issue causing over heating.

Alicia had hers for 2 yrs and she had a failing SSD.

Both of those from what we researched (Alicia and I) are fairly common issues with the Air.

The newer models also are made to make it a little more difficult to have things repaired, moreso then the first gen Airs.

For the price that those things cost, failing SSDs should not common within a short amount of time. My Toshiba has out lasted that computer with bigger specs and half the price.

Now, don't get me wrong, Alicia loved her Air when it was working, but she hasn't bought a new one due to those issues and how common they are based on her research (and that's one thing that she is very good at).

Salmoneye

I have a big HP i7 and it runs well, I will be putting an extra ssd in it this week. Not built like a tank though. Whatever you buy I would look at a squaretrade warranty for it.

choucove

I have a big HP i7 and it runs well, I will be putting an extra ssd in it this week. Not built like a tank though. Whatever you buy I would look at a squaretrade warranty for it.

The HP Pavilion (and even the newer Envy) lines of laptops are just cheap plastic frame and shell construction. The ProBook and EliteBooks are completely different, and that's why we sell them and not the consumer lines. The business-class laptops are magnesium alloy chassis and shell construction, just like the famous Macbook construction. In fact, though, the durability features and construction on the HP EliteBook laptops exceed the Mac laptops, and they meet and exceed the military specs for in-field computer systems.

The ThinkPad laptops I know are constructed pretty similarly, but I do believe they still use a plastic shell though it is a more durable plastic than what you find on most HP Pavlion or Dell Inspiron level of laptop.

Salmoneye

Custom_Grafx

Hey John,

I bought an Asus Zenbook a few months ago.
It's really light, powerful enough to run Photoshop etc.
The SD drive isn't massive so I take a portable HD.
No DVD drive either which generally doesn't matter.
Great to carry around.

Thanks mate, it looks good - I just checked it out and they have them here too.... I'm looking for something sturdier this time though - I'll be taking it on the road every day. It looks like it'd be ok for normal use but I'm worried if a sumo wrestler accidentally fell on it in the train :p

http://bgr.com/2013/04/24/windows-pc-study-macbook-pro-463158/

I have an air and run both windows and mac and its the lightest, smallest, fastest, most durable, and most portable computer I have ever had. You can get a good deal in the apple refurbished store. Before you buy something go to an apple store and at least feel the hardware. I think they should have windows available for you to test also.

I've used a friend's macbook air and pro... I gotta agree with you on some of the points... it is the best looking/feeling thing out there, but it isn't what I'm after this time. I need the strong frame/chassis, modular design and a better keyboard. If I had the money to get 2 laptops, my 2nd would be a mac, no question.

The HP Pavilion (and even the newer Envy) lines of laptops are just cheap plastic frame and shell construction. The ProBook and EliteBooks are completely different, and that's why we sell them and not the consumer lines. The business-class laptops are magnesium alloy chassis and shell construction, just like the famous Macbook construction. In fact, though, the durability features and construction on the HP EliteBook laptops exceed the Mac laptops, and they meet and exceed the military specs for in-field computer systems.

The ThinkPad laptops I know are constructed pretty similarly, but I do believe they still use a plastic shell though it is a more durable plastic than what you find on most HP Pavlion or Dell Inspiron level of laptop.

Ok... I looked into the HP 2570p Elitebook. Comparable price and impressive spec, plus it has an optical drive option. After looking at this for the last couple of hours in detail... I'm really starting to lean towards the x230 though... the keyboard is impressive on the x230, and is backlit. I am also drawn to the IPS option for the display. I haven't looked into it with great detail yet, but at a glance, battery also seems slightly better on the Lenovo. Decisions decisions! I went with your advice on my desktop last time and didn't regret! Maybe I'm gonna have to toss a coin this time!

Thanks all!

choucove

The ThinkPad laptops have always been known for their keyboards. Great quality and stand up to a lot of usage. I've found the EliteBook and ProBook keyboards are nice, but they're nothing to go singing through the hills about. Also, having the option for an IPS display is really nice in a laptop, that's a very limited feature! I wish that the DreamColor display option were available on a wider range of the HP EliteBooks, but alas they pretty much limit that to the 17" workstation series. For the size range you are looking at, I agree that the x230 may be the best bet. There are some nice features there for such a small laptop! The biggest thing that I would be a little curious about is the Intel HD 4000 graphics. Don't get me wrong, this integrated graphics is still impressive, especially for the lower resolution of the 12.5" display, but if you are going with a nice IPS display, is it a true 8-bit IPS display? If so, the Intel HD 4000 won't fully be able to utilize the true color range of the display. I would still recommend going with the upgraded IPS display (Lenovo seems to refer to this as the HD 300 Nit wide-view option) because the more basic panel (HD 200 Nit) seems kinda dim and dull.

particleman

I have a Samsung Series 9 15" Ultrabook. i7, 8 gigs of memory, 256SSD, all aluminum, super slim. It is really a well engineered laptop, most I've ever paid for one in fact, but worth it. It is really nice. The newer version now has an HD screen. It boots up in about 6-7 seconds. Has 5-6 hours of battery life using it hard, more if you want to stretch it out longer. For me I had to have 15" screen and a long lasting battery. Haven't regretted it. I don't like the fact it finger prints easy for some reason on the blue metal, but not huge. The build quality on it is outstanding though! Backlit keyboard, USB3, bluetooth, TPM module.

Custom_Grafx

I have a Samsung Series 9 15" Ultrabook. i7, 8 gigs of memory, 256SSD, all aluminum, super slim. It is really a well engineered laptop, most I've ever paid for one in fact, but worth it. It is really nice. The newer version now has an HD screen. It boots up in about 6-7 seconds. Has 5-6 hours of battery life using it hard, more if you want to stretch it out longer. For me I had to have 15" screen and a long lasting battery. Haven't regretted it. I don't like the fact it finger prints easy for some reason on the blue metal, but not huge. The build quality on it is outstanding though! Backlit keyboard, USB3, bluetooth, TPM module.

Not too many Korean brands are available in abundance here... I just had a quick look... pretty much limited to their smartphones and a tablet... lol

Custom_Grafx

The ThinkPad laptops have always been known for their keyboards. Great quality and stand up to a lot of usage. I've found the EliteBook and ProBook keyboards are nice, but they're nothing to go singing through the hills about. Also, having the option for an IPS display is really nice in a laptop, that's a very limited feature! I wish that the DreamColor display option were available on a wider range of the HP EliteBooks, but alas they pretty much limit that to the 17" workstation series. For the size range you are looking at, I agree that the x230 may be the best bet. There are some nice features there for such a small laptop! The biggest thing that I would be a little curious about is the Intel HD 4000 graphics. Don't get me wrong, this integrated graphics is still impressive, especially for the lower resolution of the 12.5" display, but if you are going with a nice IPS display, is it a true 8-bit IPS display? If so, the Intel HD 4000 won't fully be able to utilize the true color range of the display. I would still recommend going with the upgraded IPS display (Lenovo seems to refer to this as the HD 300 Nit wide-view option) because the more basic panel (HD 200 Nit) seems kinda dim and dull.

Thanks, I'm just shopping around for a price now. Get this... around $1500 local, and around $1000 imported from the US... just looking into whether or not the warranty is effective here if imported...

WildWestDesigns

I know I was meaning to do this sooner, but I just thought about it since I am in the process of loading up PS CS6 on my mom's Lenova (the whole subscription only from here on out got her to buy PS now rather then wait til the next version).

Her model is the W520. I don't think they still make this exact model, but it's a decent laptop. 16 gig with a 2.4 I7. It handles Painter, Draw and PS just fine for her.

Sorry about resurrecting the thread, just happen to remember and had all the info handy.

Custom_Grafx

Thanks WildWest,

I've pretty much decided to go with the Lenovo. Their build, keyboard and features fit my needs pretty well.

I found out they may be releasing some new models in June or so, so I'm gonna wait it out. Hopefully there'll be a sale coming up soon?