• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Now an owner of a Roland CJ 500

sfr table hockey

Hi all.

Now that I actually have my CJ 500 I can tell all a bit about what I plan to do with it. Mainly I build table hockey games and needed a printer to print the vinyl ice sheets that go onto the games. A used unit came up and I could not resist. Second I also do picture framing so the option to print on canvas and photo papers is also a plus. No one in our town had the ability to print what I needed. I have spent the last month reading as much as I could about the CJ 500 and only joined the forum a couple weeks ago.

Now I need to replace some parts and build a heater kit so that I can convert to the eco sol max inks. Without the help from a couple guys on the forum, I would have not know where to start. Thank you.

The head was not locked for transit so it was not on the capping station when it arrived so I am sure things are all dried up although the inks were all removed for transit but the pads feel very hard and dry. I wanted to get some test prints done with the pigment water based ink to start with before the change over but I am not sure if I should even try.

So I hope to be a proud owner of a CJ 500 in a month and not just an owner of a great big thing taking up space.

Bizzarth

Sorry to hear about your "bad luck." It is always a risk in buying used equipment. Sounds like you have a neat marketing niche. :cool1:

First thing is to buy the cleaning cartriges from Nazdar, Flush the system then use the ultrasonic cleaner linked below to clean the heads. Here try this before replacing the heads. you need to get some aqueous cleaning fluid to clean with. why convert it to solvent? You will need to laminate your prints either way, so stick with the water based inks but switch to Nazdar's Lyson Inks, they are half the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-2-5-L-Hea...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

sfr table hockey

The ultasonic cleaner sounds like a great option to have, not just for now, but for later as well. I have read some stuff about them in the forums.

As for the conversion. First the cost of coated materials (media for the water based) is almost double, and getting them around here is hard to get and selection is low. The the ink was double as well but I will look at that site and try to get some prices. I did a test on the water based media that the test print was done on by wetting the test print and rubbing the ink. The ink doesn't seen to rub off but the coating of the paper rubs off thus taking the ink with it. With the ice sheets that I have had done already, they used eco sol max, and you can spray glass cleaner and rub a lot and not much comes off. If I can get the same results I would not have to laminate thus more savings.

For canvas prints, I don't think there is a need to change inks.

This is the feedback that I was wanting to get. I will try to post more questions in the Roland section later.
Thanks

ddarlak

Go Bills!
seach this site, there are many threads relating to converting that model. here one from a few days ago.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45034&highlight=cj+500

if you search further, i believe there is one with complete step by step instructioins with pictures.....

dave does make a nice product, but you can do it your self for half the cost.

i see he is selling heads for $175 each, you can get them for about half on the sites listed in the link