• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OK, so let's here your views...

jkdbjj

Since this is the public section of S101, I will speak in generalities.

I recently got some work from a fairly large client. Actually I didn't realize how large they are.

Today, I get emails from their marketing department, asking me to bid so and so job. According to them, they enjoy working with me better then whomever they worked with before (so they say).

They send me a Sign Quote from another sign company with the pricing blocked out. They also send the plans, specs, drawings etc... that I know took days to develop from this other company. They want me to do the work now.

This would be a no brainer if indeed they had a falling out with the other sign company. However, we all know that is probably not what is going on. Probably the recent jobs I did for them were less then what they paid before, and they are probably thinking, I will save them money. If that is the case, I simply don't feel comfortable using other peoples hard work to make a living. So, I need advice on how to approach this.

The job is potentially worth 100k - 150k, so this is not a simple matter, but something I need help making a decision on.

Lest anyone think I am a fool for not jumping on it, I do actually place my value ahead of money.

So please, how can I tactfully deal with this, or should I just say no thanks, or no, I can't meet the timeline or something, so as not to ruin the relationship.

One other thing. While out installing some work for them the other day, I noticed some of the other sign companies work, and it was falling apart on certain places. So I snapped a couple pics, and sent them to the home office of this company which is out of state. They were a bit upset that the signs were falling apart. Yes, I did this as a gesture to say I can do better. I don't mind competing a little, but what I am talking about here feels like something different.

Anyway, what's up?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'd be honest with them and pass on their proposed design. Level with them...I should think that they'd be impressed by your integrity not to infringe on another's work.

They might be testing you...just to see how honest you really are.

JB

jkdbjj

Id quote it and submit my own drawings and plans.
Would you explain why you are submitting your own version?
I believe this is a time sensitive situation.

I actually like this idea. It has integrity, and I feel like I have some skin in the project.

If they however, convey they will not use the other company because of issues, then that is another story, isn't it?

In the end, I would still make my own measurements, no matter how good the current plans are.

Thanks guys. I know what I need to do now.

jkdbjj

For the record, if something smells like crap, it usually is crap. I believe this for the most part.

So I will explain to them if time permits, I will submit my own version, but it will cost them to do another site survey.
At that point they will probably so no, cause they already paid once for the survey.

The document I have is a 28 page survey covering two phases of territory with over 500 signs. So, first things first, if I tell them this is how I need to proceed, they might spill the beans if there is some issue with the current company.
If they say never mind, then they were just being sleazy in the first place. Am I wrong here?

HulkSmash

Pretend they asked for a quote without the other shops drawing. Treat it like your own. You cant turn it down because the customer gave you a headstart. You have no control over that.

Bly

Aren't you over thinking this?

The client sends you information to quote on.
Send them a price and then act ethically from there on.

What's the issue?

thmooch

Maybe company A would not start 150K job without 50% deposit, no matter how large the Client is(net 60). Not sayin thats the case. Atleast they did not disclose prices to make you "lowball". Company A should have been compensated prior to submitting rendering, if not thats not your problem. No Proofs, drawings, specs, etc. without deposit. Move forward with the customer, but on the next project make sure you are not the guy supplying free drawings and site assesments. Cover your back. Signed contract. Deposit. Provide outstanding quality and service. Rinse and repeat.

jkdbjj

Thanks everyone. Just helps to hear others say it sometimes. Flying out to Dallas for a week, so see you on the flip side. Hopefully I'll pass the wrap certs.

mikefine

I would not pass at this opportunity. It seems to me if the competitor doesn't care about submitting their drawings and plans without getting paid, then why should you? And how do you know the drawings weren't paid for? I would recommend that you probe for more information about what really is going on here.

The script might be something like this:

"Is it all right to ask a few questions about the bid?
Off the record, it seems like I am getting into the game late. (I say that because a lot of the preliminary design work has been done already.) Is this the case here?

I would love the opportunity, and I think you want to work with me. But I don't want to waste a lot of your time. Are you happy with the other shops designs? When you asked me for a bid, what were you hoping I could improve upon or help you with?..."

Then just be quiet and listen to what they have to say.

Good luck with the bid....

jkdbjj

I would not pass at this opportunity. It seems to me if the competitor doesn't care about submitting their drawings and plans without getting paid, then why should you? And how do you know the drawings weren't paid for? I would recommend that you probe for more information about what really is going on here.

The script might be something like this:

"Is it all right to ask a few questions about the bid?
Off the record, it seems like I am getting into the game late. (I say that because a lot of the preliminary design work has been done already.) Is this the case here?

I would love the opportunity, and I think you want to work with me. But I don't want to waste a lot of your time. Are you happy with the other shops designs? When you asked me for a bid, what were you hoping I could improve upon or help you with?..."

Then just be quiet and listen to what they have to say.

Good luck with the bid....
:goodpost:

CanuckSigns

if the document is 28 pages long, I think it would be safe to assume that the other company was paid to perform the survey and write up the specs. We do this on occasion, knowing that our specs will be given to other shops to bid on.

I wouldn't worry about it, like you said, you will still have to do another survey and shop drawings if you get the job anyways, just to be safe.

Billct2

How do you know the other company wasn't paid for the survey? Just talk to them about your concerns and see what they say.