• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Old Dog, New Tricks

TropicSignGuy

I signed up here a long time a go when I was working for Tropic Signs. I never really had a chance to get involved because I ended up helping my dad with the family business. In April Tropic Signs asked me to step into the graphic designer/printer's chair for them and I accepted. I self taught myself Illustrator, and how to run the 54" Roland SP540-V Versacamm. After realizing they were getting ready to close their doors I decided to move on. I took an estimating job for a big company. Albeit it was good money, I lost touch with the craft of actually crafting the signs.

One day on my way home from my boring estimating job, the owner of Tropic Signs called and asked if anyone was looking for a printer and a laminator. I told him I was actually interested in purchasing it, and I'd get back to him. A friend of mine put up 5 grand, and the next thing I knew a business fell into my lap. Due to a good history with the owners of Tropic, once they found out I was going to be taking the printer, they also threw in all of their artwork and their customers. Not only that but their phone is still ringing, and they are passing the business along to me.

I love this forum, and its abundance of information. I plan on learning a lot from all of you on here about the digital printing side of the business. I myself have almost 20 years of experience in this industry. I have experience in Sales, Design, Production, and Installation. However in this industry you never stop learning. I plan on being a lot more active here on the forum, and I can't wait to search the threads and see what I can learn that I don't know already.

So although I'm not quite a new member, I thought an updated introduction was necessary.

I'm Erik by the way... Pleased to meet all of you fellow Sign Guys....