• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Older graphtec plotter help please

signgirl

Hello! In the midst or a transformation here for backup. Have a graphtec 2100-50 plotter that is still a workhorse and has never let me down ( knock on wood) it has a parallel port and a rs 232c port. I purchased the graphtec cable and a rs232 adapter to connect to a 9 pin serial on the back of my laptop (win xp ) can anyone instruct me on what my next move is?? Any help would be appreciated!

T

TonyC

Not exactly..

Not exactly what you're asking...... but I did the same thing and bought a serial to USB adapter. It cost about $25 and worked great.

signgirl

Not exactly what you're asking...... but I did the same thing and bought a serial to USB adapter. It cost about $25 and worked great.

Do you know what brand you used? I'm just trying to get this old plotter to run off my laptop. I'm assuming the Rs232 would be my serial part on the plotter. I was told to get a graphtec cable because of the pin configuration and use a parallel rs232 adapter. I am so not computer savvy. Especially with the old plotters. I'm just assuming I would plug the 25 pin end into the plotters serial then the 9pin goes into the laptop.

thewvsignguy

some of those serial ports for plotters need to be reversed or something like that. I know our old GRC-61 needed one of those to communicate correctly.

Jburns

If your laptop has a Serial port- then it should be COM 1 in your devices menu. that would be the easiest way to use the plotter.
If you add Serial to USB adaptor, it will take a little more work to setup.

Jburns

some of those serial ports for plotters need to be reversed or something like that. I know our old GRC-61 needed one of those to communicate correctly.

I thinkwhat you are referring to is a null cable- or null adaptor if you have a regular cable. Null cables have the transmit and receive wires crossed so two serial ports can communicate back and forth

signgirl

I have plugged in the graphtec cable to the RS232c connection on the plotter and the RS232 adapter and the us a to mini b cable into the usb on the laptop. I've tried all ports and get cannot open port on everything I've tried. Am I missing a certain setting?? Not giving up! I've spent hrs online trying to figure this one out. Being able to use this plotter is worth the frustration lol

Jburns

You will get it. The easiest will be to connect to your RS232 port on your comupter, that you mentioned in your first post.
Using a converter cabe, you will most likely need a driver for it, identify it in devices.

also check baud rate, bit parity etc for the ports com settings.

thewvsignguy

I thinkwhat you are referring to is a null cable- or null adaptor if you have a regular cable. Null cables have the transmit and receive wires crossed so two serial ports can communicate back and forth

Yes, not sure of the technical term for it but yes I know some plotters do need that type of cable to communicate.

signgirl

You will get it. The easiest will be to connect to your RS232 port on your comupter, that you mentioned in your first post.
Using a converter cabe, you will most likely need a driver for it, identify it in devices.

also check baud rate, bit parity etc for the ports com settings.

Jury duty calls today but ports are matched (com 9) and when I hit send I look at my program manager and the gear is turning and says cutting at 0 percent and stays there so now I think it's a matter of the RS232 dip switch settings

signgirl

Update... Got her running thru RS232 serial port! Purchased a graphtec cable and a tripplite keyspan, matched up the ports and two dip setting switches and back in business! Thanks for all the help! On to the gerber edge now!

atacanteknik

if you buy usb serial cable serial connector have 9 pin male you need 9 pin to 25 pin cable that cable configration different than
socket