• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OMG! Graphtec cutter smoking!!!!!!

907customs

Just got a call from the guy who bought my FC7000-100 2 months ago...Said the plotter caught on fire!!!! Appearently he had a 15"x25yd roll of vinyl on the media rack, and it wasn't spooled out enough. When cutting, the machine jerked the roll of vinyl off the rollers, and it fell into the media basket. At this point, the machine started beeping, and the power was flashing off and on, then...smoke from the right side (i think) of the machine.

Ok, so have any of you seen this, or know what might be smoking (belt, motor, etc?). Also, somewhere he could call for help, and maybe parts? I purchased the cutter from SW a couple years ago, and it has been flawless until this...

Thanks,
Ken
:banghead:

P

ProWraps™

smoking is bad for your health.... and your plotter's!

as far as whats wrong with it.. err. hmmm. thats a tough one.

Signguyno1

Just got a call from the guy who bought my FC7000-100 2 months ago...Said the plotter caught on fire!!!! Appearently he had a 15"x25yd roll of vinyl on the media rack, and it wasn't spooled out enough. When cutting, the machine jerked the roll of vinyl off the rollers, and it fell into the media basket. At this point, the machine started beeping, and the power was flashing off and on, then...smoke from the right side (i think) of the machine.

Ok, so have any of you seen this, or know what might be smoking (belt, motor, etc?). Also, somewhere he could call for help, and maybe parts? I purchased the cutter from SW a couple years ago, and it has been flawless until this...

Thanks,
Ken
:banghead:

Seems just like he said, was not spooled out enough.
You have too pay attentions to instructions.

I would say you are not on the hook, bind the machine and watch for signs of over taxing.:omg2::doh:

Replicator

It's worked fine for 2 months and now due to misuse it has caused smoke/fire (motor burnout?) . . .

I think you're off the hook as well, I don't believe you knew of any prior problems and the buyer should call SW for support !

907customs

I know that I'm in no way responsible, I just thought I'd try to help the guy out by posting on here to see if anyone has had this happen, or could guide him in the right direction. The "OMG..." in the title was to dramatize it up so I could get more views:toasting:

animenick65

That is odd. Whenever something catastrophic happens to the roll on our graphtec, it automatically and immediately stops and beeps. I find it hard to believe that the plotter did something to cause it to combust like that.

Gordy Saunders

When electrical motors and equipment are built the factory installs a certain amount of smoke into them. If the operator of the equipment lets to much of that smoke out they won't work anymore. You sometimes have to send them back to the factory to have new smoke installed.

rcook99

Being I would be willing to bet its a motor only because I had the right side of mine open yesterday as the rep had me take that side off to fix something. All the electronics and your computer boards are all on that same side other than the power supply. Tell him there are four screws to remove the side cover 2 on the outside and 2 on the inside and it will come right off so he will be able to see everything.