• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Onyx 7.3.2 crashing on random prints

genericname

Onyx 7.3.2, running two active JV3 threads, and one inactive JV4 thread, each with their own dedicated firewire cards.

Thought I nipped this in the bud by creating a folder-based exception in my antivirus software, but that doesn't seem to have been the issue at all. Frequently, when sending a job to print on the second printer, with the first already halfway through a print, Onyx will encounter an error and quit. There are no specific error messages, just the usual Windows-based "this program had to quit" bunk. The first printer will continue printing for a minute or so, working through its buffer, and then stop dead in its tracks. The LCD panels on both printers flash intermittently, and I have to set them to Local mode, and clear the data before I can start up Onyx again, attempting a reprint.

Seems clear to me that it's some kind of communication issue, but I'm baffled as to how I would solve it. We've been doing everything right (aside from the antiquated software, natch) in order to run these two machines simultaneously, and things go well for the most part, but I find I'm restarting more and more prints lately. Cables are good, ports have been swapped, and the RIP system has been rebooted.

Anyone run into this, or have any idea of what might be going on?

Hotspur

I have tried this with success in the past:

remove both firewire cards & delete all firewire & onyx drivers.

Download latest drivers (make sure 64bit driver is used in 64bit systems)
physically install one card with its driver and then install and configure Onyx to this printer (as if you only had one printer & card)

Then take out the card physically from the PC (don't delete the firewire driver or the onyx driver)

Install the second card with its firewire driver and install this new one into Onyx.

Then shut down and physically reinstall the first card again so that now you have two cards installed together - the driver that was left installed should recognise the first card again and check onyx sees them independantly too.

The system should hopefully not get confused.

Keep your antivirus and firewall off until both are installed & tested.

More info on the Onyx website - support - knowledge base: "firewire" search

http://www.onyxgfx.com/index.php?searchTerm=firewire&area=support&submit.x=53&submit.y=10

Good luck!

genericname

Drivers. Ugh.

I was hoping it wasn't that route, but I'll give it a shot when we have some downtime. Thanks for the response, chum.

For the moment I'm working on a broken circuit for the pre-heater, a clogged line, and a now spring-less voltage selector that decided to literally fall out of the printer. Hooray!