• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion on the CE5000-60

scogre

Hey Everyone,

I have been cutting now for almost a year with a USCutter MH721. I've been doing some REALLY small stuff (as in really tiny stickers, but lots of them) and been tortured with this for some time. So I'm biting the bullet and getting a new cutter.

I'm running on a Mac right now and have been using FlexiStarter. It's way too limited and so I just wanted to see if you guys had an opinion on what I'm thinking about moving to.

First - The Graphtec CE5000-60. Does anyone know if this is a loud machine? My current cutter is so loud, everyone hates it. I've been to some sign shops and you can barely hear the cutter working. How would you rate this one?

Second - Adobe Illustrator with SignCutX2. Is this the best solution for a Mac? I'm just tired of the basic and I'm thinking using AI with a Cutting Plug-in would be the best outcome.

What do you think?

Thanks.

trakers

Your machine uses Stepper motors which are ridiculously loud. The Graphtec uses Servo motors which are very quiet.

I have no idea about Mac software.

D&Tgraphics

You will love that cutter. It's quite and will cut your small stuff great.
As far as software, illy would be great but I would recomend FlexiSign Pro. Just from personal experience, it's much better when it comes to making files for cutting. That's what it's made for. Just my .02

thmooch

great cutter, you will be very happy. I cut out of Illy with the Graphtec software & have been satisfied. I use a PC not a Mac.

scogre

You will love that cutter. It's quite and will cut your small stuff great.
As far as software, illy would be great but I would recomend FlexiSign Pro. Just from personal experience, it's much better when it comes to making files for cutting. That's what it's made for. Just my .02

Thanks for the input. So, FlexiSign Pro eh? Gotta add that to the list of expensive things to buy. :)

I just really want to have the right setup. So do you use the Mac or Windows version?

Anyone have experience with the Flexi Mac version?

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I have a CE5000-60 (24") and the loudest part is the vacuum or fan and sometimes the knife cutting the material. as others have said it is very quiet. look around as you can find that plotter for under $1,300. I'm happy with my 24" but if I had a little more vinyl business I would get a wider model in the FC8000 series.

Also I use Illustrator only with the Graphtec plugin.

JK driver

I have the CE5000-60 also. I love it. I have cut some really small stuff with it. The only thing I don't like about it is, it is tough to get the material lined up perfectly for long cuts. When I have to do long cuts I run the material through the full length to make sure it stays lined up. My bud is a tch suport person for an upstate NY sign supplier, he says it is a very good machine as far as trouble shooting and tech support. He said most of the parts can be swapped out instead of sending the whole machine in. Very good plotter for the price! I have had it for around 9 months and it is great. I have not cut sand blast resist with it yet.

scogre

Graphtec on the way.

Hey,

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's opinions on this topic and the information about Tangential Cutting. :U Rock:

I'm rather excited. I just ordered my new Graphtec and they said it should get here tomorrow!!! I can't wait. (Probably means a late night of trying to make it work perfect, but I can't wait.)

Also, after doing a ton of looking around, I found a sight, Ordway, or signsupply.com. They were really helpful and cheap! The cutter was only $1,295 and has FREE SHIPPING! Really good deal. The closest I could get was from signwarehouse and they were at $1,595.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and you guys were great! I hope to be able to help everyone if they have questions about the cutter now, but with experience. :)

scogre

Got my CE5000-60 Today!!!

Well, got my CE5000-60 today and was really busy, so I had to wait till tonight to install it.

All I can say is WOW!!! The sound difference is absolutely incredible. I don't think if I made a video it would show the difference. I run a fan next to me that makes more noise than the new cutter. Absolutely great!

Anyway, my only issue now is Flexi. What a piece of junk program. It crashes constantly, can't keep the driver loaded and keeps giving my Mac the Mac equivalent of the "Blue Screen of Death." (Never happened before and has happened about 10 times tonight) On top of that, SAInt is no help what so ever. Their Mac site, www.Flexi85.com is also down. It looks like they forgot to renew it and it's up for sale. lol. I almost wanted to make a bid for it. Hilarious.

But the Cutter is incredible. I set it all up in about an hour and was cutting within 10 minutes of powering it up. Went with some factory specs and everything is working like a charm right off the bat!

I have to order some 60 degree blades tomorrow from Clean Blades and then get Illustrator up and running, because Flexi is absolute garbage! How they can even charge for the program is beyond me. It should have a "Beta" tag on it.

Thanks again everyone.

sinetist

I just got a Graphtec CE5000-60 a couple of months ago. I use Illustrator to layout all my vector work and use either SignCut X3 or FlexiStarter to cut with. I'm on a mac also. I much prefer SignCut as the cutting program. It's faster, easy to use and has some great weedline features that FlexiStarter lacks. I used to use FlexiLetter for OS 9 and loved it but can't afford to buy it, or something better right now. I find I can do everything I need in Illustrator, sometimes it takes a few more steps than a devoted sign program does to do some things.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Definitely use the Clean Blades they are well worth the money. mention Signs101 for free shipping or something. Once you get them you'll need to reduce the pressure by 40-60%. I run vinyl at 10.

scogre

Definitely use the Clean Blades they are well worth the money. mention Signs101 for free shipping or something. Once you get them you'll need to reduce the pressure by 40-60%. I run vinyl at 10.

Thanks for the tip! I'm running at 12 right now with Paint Mask. I don't think that my blade is set too far down, but I'll take it back a notch when I get my 60's.

Thanks for the heads up about :signs101: I'll definitely mention it!